Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

96 Ram Van 318 help needed from Venezuela

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Antonio Vera
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Ram Van 318 help needed from Venezuela

Hi, my name is Antonio and I live in Venezuela. I own a Ram Vam 96 with a 318 engine. Suddently I couldn't start up the engine normally turning the key (sorry about my tecnical english).
To start up the engine I have to put some gas through the acceleration body (where the air filter goes), turn the key on and it starts up normally without any other problems.
If I turn the engine off and try to turn it on again, it won't. I have to repeat the procedure filling some gas...
The scanner says nothing. It doesn't gime any error code.
I meassured the voltages at the fue injectors and there is no voltage when I turn the key to start positions. After I put some gas throug the air filte goes and the engine starts, the voltages at the injectors goes normal (0.6 - 0.9 V).
Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:46 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm thinking that your fuel pump is bad. Do you have access to a fuel pressure tester to see if the pump is putting out the correct PSI?

Old 09-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Antonio Vera

Thanks Rich. Apparently in three repair shops meassured the fuel pressure and they all said it was OK but I couldn't see the number. Do you think that's the reason why the fuel injectors does not open when trying to start up the engine?
After the engine start up it works really fine.
Any way I will meassure the fuel pressure and let you know. What should be the righ pressure for the pump?

Old 09-19-2012, 05:11 PM
DoubleWasp
Rookie

About 55 psi.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:18 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try just cycling the key on and off a number of times before starting. Perhaps the fuel check valve/ one way valve is faulty and it takes a while to build enough pressure for the injectors to fire

Old 09-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or try holding the starter on for 15 seconds, though most with a weak check valve will start in about 5 to 8 seconds.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Antonio Vera

56 PSI at the injectors. 15 seconds, 30 seconds and nothing. No voltages at the injectors while key in start possition and now a get P0135 error... Can this error be related with the start ur problem?

Old 09-25-2012, 05:29 PM
funair02
All Star

how may miles on the motor? I could just be worn out...

p0135 is an O2 sensor. Because you dumped raw gas down the throttle, you may have fried your front o2 sensor.

Also your PCM may have just bit the dust. When mine died, the gauges still worked, even the p--codes, but it just wouldnt start. Also is your coil good?? How bout your battery?

Quick Reply: 96 Ram Van 318 help needed from Venezuela