Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Gas tank size

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:12 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank size

Hi all...

What size should my 2002 3.9 1500 gas tank be?

I can only get 20-24 gallons in...Everywhere I read it is 31.

The gauge reads accurately too. I havent tried to run it dry though.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your tank float is not properly adjusted. After you fill up how many miles can you drive before the fuel gauge needle moves off the "F" mark? If it's more than about 75 I would say time to adjust the float arm or replace the fuel level sender.

You could run the tank dry and then see how much it takes to refill -- just make sure to carry a 5 gallon jug of fuel with you so you're not calling AAA for roadside assistance. Then run to the gas station and fill up, add in the five gallons from the jug into the equation and see what number you get. For your van I believe it should be 32 gallons.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:49 AM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty93RamVan
Sounds like your tank float is not properly adjusted. After you fill up how many miles can you drive before the fuel gauge needle moves off the "F" mark? If it's more than about 75 I would say time to adjust the float arm or replace the fuel level sender.

You could run the tank dry and then see how much it takes to refill -- just make sure to carry a 5 gallon jug of fuel with you so you're not calling AAA for roadside assistance. Then run to the gas station and fill up, add in the five gallons from the jug into the equation and see what number you get. For your van I believe it should be 32 gallons.

It starts to move at about 50. At the 3/4 mark I have already gone 100-130 miles. At 1/2 I am usually way over 220...

I guess I will have to run it and see what happens...

Quick Reply: Gas tank size