Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

New Ignition Switch/ Key & Van won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:26 PM
bbutczynski
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face New Ignition Switch/ Key & Van won't start

Hello,
2002 Dodge Ram Van 1500, 6 Cylinder

Initial Problem:
Hit a bump in the road and the headlights, radio, and blinkers would go out.
Tilting the steering wheel produced the same result.
Pull over, shut off and restart, and voila- problem solved (I'm a carpenter).

Problem progressed to:
Fire up the van, drive to Home Depot or the jobsite, do my whatever, and the van doesn't start.
Jump the battery and away I go.

Sometimes van would be running like hell, and then just die at the worst times (highway during rush hour).

New battery, $200. tow, and $300. in mechanics fees later (glorified tune-up and new "module") and the problem persisted.

The latest mechanic quickly diagnosed and repaired the problem (changed wiring adjacent to the steering column, replaced the ignition switch, and the "module" that was previously replaced), however he doesn't know how to reprogram the PCM to match the new ignition key.

He's a great guy, but he's old school, doesn't have a computer of any type in his shop or even own a PC.

He vaguely remembers that there is some sequence (remove the negative battery cable, turn the key to a certain position,............) but everything he tried doesn't seem to work.

I was checking all of the threads relating to my problem on this site, but can't find this sequence he's talking about.

Any chance you guys can help me out?

Quick Reply: New Ignition Switch/ Key & Van won't start