Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Call me stupid..

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 11:11 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Call me stupid..

I ordered the Hughes Plenum kit today. There are no codes and it starts, runs and gets me to where i'm going fine but there's a lack of power accelerating and needs a quart of oil every 1,000 mi or so. It acts like it wants to go but can't get out of it's own way to get there, much like me these days...

I finally cleaned the TB yesterday was pretty cruddy but seemed to look better than imagined and expected. I didn't go so far as to using mirrors or inspection cameras, I couldn't get a real clear view inside the manifold but i'm quite convinced by what i could see by flashlight and fat head down there it's long overdue for the plenum fix.

I'm wondering, is it foolish to replace the plenum due to the miles, it's got 274k on it now? Doubt I'll sell this van because i've put more into it than it's worth on the market, I get to learn and fix it and it's useful to me running well. I'm fairly confident now that I can handle this job and thinking it's worth doing regardless the miles for $125. if it really makes a difference (from all the commentors who've posted that I've read it really does) It's pretty straight forward and not beyond my ability for doing it.

Other thing is I haven't seen yet a ton of info on the cleaning process but have watched the disassemble and reassembly, i'd guess using a pressure washer to knock off the crud on the the intake itself or would it be better to soak it in some solution overnight? Could use some direction and advice and tips if yer willing, rather ask now than elbows deep and stuck in a week or two.

Thanks, Jim

Last edited by JFloors; 07-18-2015 at 08:14 PM. Reason: sometimes i'm just not clear the first time
Old 07-18-2015, 02:35 AM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be a plugged catalytic converter?

Old 07-18-2015, 07:33 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Hope you got the fel pro gaskets and not the cheap ones that come with it. If you didn't just get felpros from a local store. Fel pro is much better quality. It's fairly simple and the only issue i had was holding the plenum up over the engine to get it aligned(4X4). Don't forget to get the bypass tube, You will need a new one. When you have the plenum off it's a good time to replace the cap/rotor.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:09 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Originally Posted by SteveR
Could it be a plugged catalytic converter?
Thanks for that reminder Steve, I pulled the pre cat o2 sensor (having seen to try this in other threads) this morning and found the throttle was lots more responsive with that bit of relief and no more hesitation when mashing the pedal quickly. Don't know why I never checked this before, i had meant to
Guess I'll be shopping and saving up for some exhaust work to be done now too, have to pay a shop to do that job. My rookie guess is the plenum work should probably be done first so as not to gunk up the new more expensive catalytic converter.

Moparite, I wasn't sure but figured either should be fine so went with the lower cost package, I may just do as you suggest and call Hughes direct monday and upgrade to the felpro before they ship hopefully.

Last edited by JFloors; 07-18-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:28 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
. It's fairly simple and the only issue i had was holding the plenum up over the engine to get it aligned.

this is a real pain in the *** to do if you dont take off the AC/Alternator bracket...I tried the first time with the bracket on and I misaligned the front seal...so I had to do the job all over again...

Old 07-20-2015, 08:22 PM
JFloors
Veteran

I'm going to try n plan it so I can get my son in law over on a saturday morning to help out when the manifold is ready to be put back. he's a great kid and loves stuff like this. I ferget the guys name this moment who did the 6 part plenum video on youtube, that is a great help! ... he had cut 4 of the old bolts heads off to use to align the manifold and drop in place. He had cut a slot in the head also so he could remove them with a screwdriver once in place. When I get to doing this i'll be sure to have some thing like that in place too, will also be sure to take the bracket off too the less in the way the better! I recently did that when I broke a bolt off the thermostat housing changing the thermostat and had to retap, so atleast I know that some of the bolts in this process aren't locked on.
Also, I may regret it, or not, but gonna leave the waterpump n timing chain alone, they ain't broke yet

Old 07-20-2015, 09:59 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JFloors
he had cut 4 of the old bolts heads off to use to align the manifold and drop in place. He had cut a slot in the head also so he could remove them with a screwdriver once in place. When I get to doing this i'll be sure to have some thing like that in place too, will also be sure to take the bracket off too the less in the way the better!

good idea

Quick Reply: Call me stupid..