Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Van cranks over but doesnt start

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 06:55 PM
oobler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Van cranks over but doesnt start

Hello everyone. New to this site and it looks like there's a lot of knowledge here. So here goes I got an 89 dodge 1 ton van (318) cranks over but won't start. Went through and checked fuel pump and filter both were good. Got a code by turning the key on and off 3 times. Code 11 came up ( No ignition reference signal detected during cranking. Bad hall effect OR loss of camshaft sensor). Figured, screw it, I'll change plugs first before digging into the camshaft sensor. Changed plugs and the thing fired right up. Ran around town a while with it then parked. Turned it on and off a couple of more times. Worked every time. Let it sit over night, now today it won't start again. Now today I changed the rotor and distributor cap still wont start. Should I change the camshaft sensor? Why would it work after changing the plugs and now nothing? Maybe change plug wires? Any ideas?

Old 08-18-2015, 10:14 PM
a1mfw
Rookie

If it's been awhile for the ignition wire change would do it. Make sure they are routed correctly and are not touching.

Another thing would be the ignition coil. Those have been known to fail and
cause a no start.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:07 PM
oobler

Thanks I'll try those.

Quick Reply: Van cranks over but doesnt start