DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Ram Van (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-van-100/)
-   -   HELP 1,000 mi from home NO BUS error intermittant (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-van/393709-help-1-000-mi-from-home-no-bus-error-intermittant.html)

jimbo74 03-05-2016 04:30 AM

I will say that is also not entirely true.... My shipping address isn't my billing address... My wife recently kicked me out of the house, and I still haven't changed my billing address, but I am currently surfing the couch at my parent's house... Have received several things here already from ebay... also, sellers will ship to you at other places if you ask, that has been my experience anyways.....

rsdata 03-05-2016 02:30 PM

UPDATE:

FL weather is fine for working on the old van... just not what I came here to do...

I am consciencous about maintanence and even preventive parts to keep this thing rolling as I typically drive it long distances and only a few times for short trips when I am at home. I have been to south FL and back to Cincinnati area 3 times in the last year, over 15,000 miles without a hiccup until now. Last thing I did was have a new fuel pump put in "just in case" before it needed it last fall.

Fortunately I have some good friends both on this forum and at home that have been helping me with suggestions.

My options have been:
a. hope to get it back to Dodge dealership in Chiefland FL that worked on it when I had to have it towed in last Monday (5 days ago). $190 labor and mechanic out right told me he did not know what he did to fix it. Drove it 10 miles back to camp, then 160 miles to next campground near Apalachicola. Understandable he did not know with an intermittant electrical issue. I called Friday and got a $950 est for parts and labor for new ECC to be installed with one day turn around. However after talking to mechanic he admitted that MAY NOT fix the issue. As of now I do not think I want to spend that kind of money without a guarantee it will be fixed.

b. order ECC from FL source or another; as of now I am not all that sure the ECC is the problem so spending nearly $400 (minus core) still may not fix the problem. I have tapped, rapped, and hammered the ECC and am not able to recreate the NO BUS, so even though there might be a heat related problem ( I doubt it cause it ran for 15 min, then parked for an hour, then would not start, and typically runs once I get it on the road), I am still not sure an ECC will fix the problem... besides being put off by all the negative reviews of the computer outfit in Miami that I read...

c. store my trailer and van locally and hitch a ride home with a friend or relative, but bringing back the ECC with me. My local home mechanic says he can get my ECC rebuilt in a week for less than $250. I can then return with a friend with another tow vehicle, tow the trailer home and drive my van back, hopefully with everything fixed by the rebuilt ECC...

I am currently tearing into every electrical piece that I can, the instrument cluster, the black box that holds all the relays, the under-dash connectors and under the dog house AND redoing all grounds that I can find (thx to blackvan for that suggestion).

This van was garage kept for the first 11 years and everything I tear into looks shiny bright as far as connections. The grounds also look good...but you never know. I am using emory cloth and CAIG DeOxit on all connections.

I took out the battery and conectted to jumper cables and have now pushed and pulled on cable bundle entering the firewall... but nothing yet to report on making the NO BUS error.

I have gotten some info on points to measure voltage on the ECC cables WHEN the error happens, but so far today no error... NO BUS ... tough to fix what is not broken at the time.

This van has stranded me twice. Once needed a $60 tow to dealer, second got a tow from good samaritan to local garage who could not fix the problem after an hour. After pushing into lot, I fooled with it for 20 minutes and BOOM all of a sudden it worked, so I drove it back to campground on Thursday afternoon. On Friday I started it 3 times, then once slammed the hood and NO BUS. Started right back up. Put it in reverse and it died... NO BUS. Started right back up. Parked still until I could get into it this Sat morning.

At that point I started to ask questions on this forum and to friends and mechanics back home. Today after working for about 4 hours, I cannot make it NO BUS on me. Will try to drive it later and see what happens.

thx again for advice and suggestions...

jimbo74 03-05-2016 08:35 PM

you can get a flashed computer off of ebay for $100

I don't know why you aren't doing that?

rsdata 03-05-2016 09:42 PM

thx for the reply jimbo74

I'm not doing that because of very limited connectivity to internet mostly through a 4G connection through my phone

also, I have been working on trying to recreate the problem and going through making better ground connections...

I am in a campground on St George Island... It is 12 miles to the mainland...
not much going on around

I would appreciate a link to the ebay ECC I need... I would spend $100

I just cannot do much searching as it takes forever to load pages...

can you help me?

sending you a PM with more info

sparkzz 03-06-2016 03:48 AM

You will need the number off the label of the one that is installed now.
It will be a number like: 56040259AF.

I had to order one off ebay a couple of years ago for my 2000 B3500. I just swapped them out (no reflashing or anything) and have been running fine.

blackvan 03-06-2016 04:14 AM

jimbo74 03-06-2016 11:57 AM

here is one that should fit, but you can find them cheaper if you look around http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-1500-2500-VAN-ENGINE-COMPUTER-ECU-ECM-PCM-Plug-Play-Hassle-Free/110876918545?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D333008%26algo%3DRIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131231133846%26meid%3D0fadf7d57ffc41b893dce3ee327d6984%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D14%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D321987508484

rsdata 03-06-2016 12:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
spent all Saturday cleaning grounds and tracing sensor wires, wiggly and tapping and watching this board...

I am in a Fl SP campground around Apalachicola (St George Island) and usually get 4G wirelss connectivity to my laptop, although somethimes like this AM I am getting LTE, so doing a lot of internet research really slows me down as loading web pages takes a minute or more every time it changes.

Sunday AM, putting everything back together. I have CAIG DeOxit and corrosion inhibiter which I am using when cleaning grounds, along with emory cloth and a 3M scratch pad.

Everything I looked at on Saturday was bright and shiny... this van was garage kept it's first 11 years and other than the body nothng looks particularly corroded, or mice infested.

I did not have a NO BUS all day yesterday. The only times I get die or no start or NO BUS is:

1. Last Sunday drove it about 10 miles on a cool morning to do laundry. Let it sit about 70-80 minutes, then No start. Left overnight in that parking lot and on Monday No start. Tow to Dodge dealer.

2. Dodge mechanic shows me NO BUS error while van in their lot. Push into bay. 2 hours later mechanic has it running but he says he does not know how it got fixed... no clue what he did to get NO BUS to go away. He test drives and I drive back to campground 12 miles away.

3. Tuesday hitch up trailer and drive 160 miles to next campground with no problems.

4. Wed, started twice after driving about 8 miles into town and back to get pizza.

5. Thursday, went out in the morning for breakfast intending to buy groceries after. After about a 10-12 mile drive and sitting for about 40 minutes, the van started in lot, then died, but restarted to allow me to back out of lot. Died after putting into Drive from Reverse and moving about 30 feet. No restart this time. Good samaritan pulled me to local repair shop. 90 min later NO BUS goes away, and it starts. I drive about 12 miles back to camp.

6. Friday, started 3 times, 4th time I put in gear and it dies, restarts, look under hood, slam hood down it dies. Restarts, never leave camp and cannot get it to die again.

7. Sat clean all grounds, connectors, and monitor forum. Start a number of times never get NO BUS again.

8. Sunday AM... put everything back together. Heat ECC with hair dryer for about 15 min. Start van, runs about 6-8 min but dies. Restart, run another 5 minutes or so, then dies, restart... NO BUS indication has not return but van just stops now twice in last 15 minutes or so. Van is now running again... after two die episodes... waiting for it to die again. It is just sitting and idling which it does very smootly at about 620-650 RPM as measured on intalled ScanGuage II. Vey little vibration. No amount of tapping on the ECC will make it die. It is now noon and van has ran for almost 30 minutes without a problem... time for a road test and send this report off.

I have shifted into reverse driven back and forth a few feet shifted several times and moved several times with no effect.

9. Could a loose connection at a new fuel pump installed last fall be something to look at?

Temp is nice about 70 at 11 AM. Not hot, not cold.

Van has never died while rolling along, although a couple of times I felt a hesitation like a mis-fire, but only a couple of times in 160 miles.

Still looking for an answer. Going to try to upload pictures while I got a good connection.

The 1st pic is of the actual ECC the second is the VIN and build info from tag under hood.

10. Could a bad connection from an O2 sensor kill the engine or give NO BUS? I did change O2 sensor about 6 months ago. I looked at the connectors and wiring and pulled and wiggled them with no ill effect.

rsdata 03-06-2016 01:37 PM

thx jimbo74...

I looked on that page typed in my van info and got a msg

NOT COMPATIBLE... bla bla bla

I heard from my mechanic that THIS SPECIFIC ECC model is not very common and I would have to provide my unit for a rebuild.

I will call them Monday AM and give them my specific info.

I hope they can chg to my credit card or paypal and ship to me at the state park.

We will see.

Just drove 17 miles round trip without an issue...

this is frustrating...

jimbo74 03-06-2016 02:28 PM

ok, well that one says it is the one for your vehicle, since I don't have yours sitting in front of me, I can't tell you which one it is.... Ebay has 3 places that do it.... They all have your computer... Really seems we are giving the info you need, and you jsut refuse to order the computer at this point

have you looked at you ASD?