Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2002 dodge ram 1500 custom van with 5.9 - bad gas screwed it up

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:50 PM
Ted Gresham
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 dodge ram 1500 custom van with 5.9 - bad gas screwed it up

I have the above mentioned van. A week ago it started sputtering and then would not crank. It seemed pretty clear I had bought some bad gas. I put STP in the gas. No luck. Then I put FLEET water removal. Nothing. I was told to get Sea Foam treatment. Still no luck. The van has over ten gallons fresh gas so the additives should have helped. Nope. It turns over but will not start, as if it's not getting gas. I cleaned the plugs but didn't help. Now I don't know what to check. I need to drain the gas and pull the tank but I can't find the fuel system relay to pull it as instructed so I can drain the fuel lines of pressure. I downloaded a service manual with instructions on what to do with that but I can't find an owners manual that might tell me where all the relays are. Anybody have any suggestions, ideas, help? I am disabled and have very little money so I have to get this done myself.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:48 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you done the keydance (on-off 3 times and then the code shows on the odometer) to see if there are any codes?

Usually when it just dies like that it is the crankshaft position sensor or coil. Maybe the fuel pump too and rarely the PCM.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:09 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Service Manual and Relays

The service manual will tell you where the relays are. The fuel relay should be in the Power Distribution Center (PDC), the black box next to the battery.

Is the check engine light on? Have you been able to check for error codes?

if you do the "key dance" as suggested earlier, and look at the odometer, it will show the codes if there are any. Just do this: Turn the key on-off-on-off-on within 5 seconds, and the codes will be displayed one at the time in the odometer (example: P0320, P0340, P1391). when finished, it will say "done".

Quick Reply: 2002 dodge ram 1500 custom van with 5.9 - bad gas screwed it up