Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Broken Ignition Switch - Key Cylinder Tumbler Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 07:54 PM
MarkofCain
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Ignition Switch - Key Cylinder Tumbler Swap

1996 Dodge B2500 5.2L, Conversion by Aero in Miami, FL. I've owned the van since day 1 -- about 22 years.

The ignition switch in my van suddenly became sloppy and you had to push in really hard and twist fast to get the switch to get into the final position which engages the starter. There was a lot of play in the key switch and often the position indicated by the key (ACC, OFF, ON, START) was in fact not the real position.

I quickly figured that something must be broken in the switch. Getting access was simple. Removed tilt steering lever, 3 torx screws on the bottom of the cover, separated the cover and saw 3 posted torx (security torx) screws holding the switch, two electric connectors and it was in my hand.

Sure enough, the end of the key cylinder is a ring with approximately a 15 degree opening. One end of the ring was broken off causing the erratic behavior. I was able to use epoxy to re-attach it. Reassembled and working great.

I ordered a new key cylinder today to have on hand when my repair fails. The key cylinder and keys were purchased for $15.

I want the same key for ignition switch and door locks. Now here is the question. Is it possible AND easy to put the old tumblers into the new key cylinder? If so, what is the process?

Old 04-08-2017, 10:24 AM
iodj44
Veteran

I know this is not the answer your looking for but a Dodge Dealer can key or whatever the term is too match your original door and ignition key. It may be possible for a locksmith to do as well but I personally don't know if that is possible, but I do agree have the same key for the doors makes sense.

Good luck.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:31 AM
sparkzz
Veteran

I did that on a '94 and didn't have any problem. As I recall, you put the key in the tumbler assembly, turn it, and pull the tumbler assembly out, then put the other one in the same way.

Last edited by sparkzz; 04-09-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:19 AM
iodj44
Veteran

Wow, that's pretty straight forward and I'm thinking it is some complicated procedure.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:18 AM
sparkzz
Veteran

Well, I had the whole giz out and worked on it at my kitchen table. I wasn't that hard.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:38 PM
MarkofCain
Rookie

Originally Posted by sparkzz
I did that on a '94 and didn't have any problem. As I recall, you put the key in the tumbler assembly, turn it, and pull the tumbler assembly out, then put the other one in the same way.
This sounds like the way you swap out the key cylinder (which contains the tumblers) from the switch. But I'll try it in a few days when the new key cylinder gets here. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the response.