Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

96 Dodge Ram Van - not starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Zachary Shull
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Dodge Ram Van - not starting

Hi all,
I was so thankful to receive so much valuable information on a problem I had. I bought a used 96 Dodge Ram Van with 110xxx miles on it and everything is in great working condition, according to my mechanic based on the last visit to the shop.

I had taken it to the shop because it had trouble staying idling. It would start up and then die. All the feedback I received on the forum said it was the IAC valve that needed to be replaced.

It's been less than a month since I had it replaced and I was driving the truck every other day. However, last night it didn't start up first try. Thought it was kind of funky, but didn't overthink it. This morning though, before heading to work I tried to start it again.

The attached video is what happened. Does anyone have any tips of what this might be and what a fix would entail?

Thank you,

Zach

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video.MOV (4.38 MB, 50 views)
Old 04-19-2017, 11:59 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Looks like your battery is dead.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:21 PM
Zachary Shull

Oh, okay. I thought the worst because it's a new battery. No lights left on or anything.. :/

Old 04-19-2017, 03:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Jump it, then go get the battery and alternator tested.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:22 PM
Zachary Shull

So I got home from work last night and tried to start it. Started up first try without a problem.

This morning i went to start and I left the key in the ignition and the buzzer went as usually. After a minute and a half of waiting. It started up.

I turned it off after running it for 5 mins and then tried to start it again. It did not start first try. Took two tries.

Here is a video of what happened after the above things that happened:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UgOrC3...ature=youtu.be

Old 04-21-2017, 01:30 AM
NewVanMan

Whens the last time your fuel filter was replaced? Sounds like you aren't getting enough fuel.

Try priming it every time you go to start. Turn the ignition all the way to ON without starting, hold it for three seconds or so, turn back to OFF. Repeat two to three times. Then start the car. If that does it, it's likely fuel related - either the pump or the filter, filter is the first and easiest to check.