Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

New with old problems - backfires when warm

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 12:26 PM
urbanPL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
About the only test you can do is before you start it in the morning and it's cold, heat up the PCM with a hairdryer. Once warm start the engine, if it backfires right from the get go then the PCM is likely bad.
I think I found the culprit - I checked the fuel pressure. Idling it's 32psi, with vacuum taken off the regulator 39, but revving while on N pressure drops to 20psi, accelerating 10psi and then it backfires. Going slowly uphill pressure drops to 12-15 and backfires too.

Tomorrow I am going to drop the fuel tank and take out the fuel pump. I hope I find new one before the end of the week - fuel filter already pruchased

Is it possible? Am I right?

Old 05-20-2017, 04:36 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

get new "decent" plug wires before ya try pcm---then if same problem go to junk yard and retreve a pcm--napa has good plug wires---plug wires were my my problem for 4 or 5 years

Old 05-21-2017, 10:09 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by urbanPL
fuel filter already purchased
Usually the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump assembly. So unless you've defiantly seen one on your van, don't be surprised if you can't find one on there to replace.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:45 AM
urbanPL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
Usually the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump assembly. So unless you've defiantly seen one on your van, don't be surprised if you can't find one on there to replace.

Thanks for the advice - I've found one - under the car, next to the frame, more or less under the side doors - kind of in-line filter.

Besides, now I know I have found the culprit - pictures below are the answer, why my b250 had problems with too low fuel pressure and backfired under load (hopefully it's a past tense

Attached Thumbnails New with old problems - backfires when warm-20170522_155507.jpg   New with old problems - backfires when warm-20170522_152806.jpg