Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

4x4 van conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 05:47 PM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice rig!

...and Holy crap, they cut the entire outside of the spring bucket out of the frame and ran metal underneath on the inside... that's nearly cutting the front frame rails in half... It's be interesting to see a picture of the frame and shock arrangement without the wheels on the next time you have it apart. I'm curious.

Also, what year did the fuel tank get moved from the back to the front, that looks like it's just the couple year earlier 35 gallon tank from before they moved it forward? I want to say 97 was the first year they moved them... which would mean you probably got one of the very last dodge 4wd conversions they did... pretty cool machine. feel free to post as many pics as you like! :-) Thanks!

I'm going to hit a u pull it lot here that has several vans from that era in hopes I can find one of the last year that had the rear tank so the fuel pump would be compatible with mine... I have the shortened front tank that's probably about 29 gallons, and would like to add another in the rear to increase time between fuel ups...

Originally Posted by Gearheadpt
View of the gas tank.

Last edited by wca_tim; 10-16-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:04 PM
Mike Mike
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4x4 van conversion

I noticed that also. My 2000 has the gas tank on the side with a round fill cap in front of the rear wheel well. Thought I read somewhere the change came in 1998 along with a stronger frame/uni body and longer front end to improve crashes but hindered the turning radius. My van also has the mirrors where the 97 had vent windows. I think I might call Quigley and ask them what was the last year they did dodge conversions and why they stopped doing them. My guess is the gas tank and the longer front end. I wonder if they still have the build specs. On how they did them at that time. Would they keep info like that for reference even though it's been 20 years since they did one.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mike
I noticed that also. My 2000 has the gas tank on the side with a round fill cap in front of the rear wheel well. Thought I read somewhere the change came in 1998 along with a stronger frame/uni body and longer front end to improve crashes but hindered the turning radius. My van also has the mirrors where the 97 had vent windows. I think I might call Quigley and ask them what was the last year they did dodge conversions and why they stopped doing them. My guess is the gas tank and the longer front end. I wonder if they still have the build specs. On how they did them at that time. Would they keep info like that for reference even though it's been 20 years since they did one.
Highly likely. I doubt they throw away any old designs at all.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:51 AM
Gearheadpt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think you for your appreciation. I will try to get a better angle of the undercarriage to show more of the frame and brackets. It was well thought out and does well off road considering its dimensions. I have called Quigley often and have found them very helpful. I spoke with a gal named Joyce and she has supplied several part numbers. The gas tank is 35 gal. You're probably right about it being one of the last 4x4 models. Dodge changed the model significantly in '98. Has anyone seen a '98 or later 4x4 conversion? I don't think that I have. Finding parts for it can be very tough. I have some upcoming projects for it. I plan on adding an extra battery with inverter and a small water tank with pump under the rig. Then maybe an air locker to the rear and a forward facing receiver for the addition of a winch. I will hit up the forum on how to set up the additional battery without torching my alternator. I've heard of a battery isolator solenoid but need to learn more. I'll post some better photos this weekend.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:20 PM
Mike Mike
Amateur
Default 4 x 4 Van Conversion

2000 Dodge Ram 3500 Van. 11,000 Miles. First attempt to posting pictures, hope it turned out O.K.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pics worked. It doesn't look like a 4x4... Can you post pics of the front suspension?

Old 10-20-2017, 04:57 PM
Mike Mike
Amateur

It's not a 4x4. This is the van I bought in New Jersey and want to convert to 4x4 if possible.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Mike Mike
Amateur

Finally got the title transferred so I'm hoping to get the van and a simular 4x4 dodge truck up on lifts side by side Monday to see if i can use the 4x4 truck as donor parts for the van 4x4 conversion. Hoping to take the van body and mount it on the donor truck frame utilizing everything on the truck except the truck body. I've gotten mixed reviews on if this will work so I figured it's best to look for myself before I proceed.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:13 PM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally got the title transferred so I'm hoping to get the van and a simular 4x4 dodge truck up on lifts side by side Monday to see if i can use the 4x4 truck as donor parts for the van 4x4 conversion. Hoping to take the van body and mount it on the donor truck frame utilizing everything on the truck except the truck body. I've gotten mixed reviews on if this will work so I figured it's best to look for myself before I proceed.

Sweet! Let us know how it goes!
...as of this afternoon I have a torn apart (crispy critter) 98 2500 4x4 in my drive way next to my 99 van... I scored the 98 vor a song because it had a serious engine fire... but it has a good transmission, 241 transfer case, dana 60 axles with 4.10 gears and a recently redone posi in the rear...

Old 10-20-2017, 10:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It's not a 4x4. This is the van I bought in New Jersey and want to convert to 4x4 if possible.
That would explain it.

NICE lookin' van.

Quick Reply: 4x4 van conversion