Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Alternator pulleys

Old 04-09-2018, 04:01 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternator pulleys

Hi all,
I pulled my alternator out to get it bench tested and found that the case has split over winter so it needs to be replaced. Can I buy a new alternator with a serpentine belt and put my double-v-belt pulley on it? There doesn't seem to be any name-brand double-v-belt 120 Amp alternators available for the 1991 Dodge B250 on Rock Auto. I want new and name brand so I don't mind changing the pulley if needed.
Cheers, Steve

Old 04-21-2018, 05:22 PM
SteveR
Captain

I saw a listing at a parts shop indicating that the double v-belt pulley can be re-used with the serpentine alternator so that is what I am going to try and do. The old pulley popped off nice an easy, it just has a taper and no keyway. No puller or banging required.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:35 PM
SteveR
Captain

The pulley swap worked out. You can see that the measurement from the face of the pulley to the mounting boss is the same on both alternators. The old alternator was a reman by Wilson. The new alternator was a new Remy. Both were 120 Amps but as you can see the Remy comes with the wrong pulley.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:46 PM
ramvan61
Rookie

Thanks SteverR for posting the job pictures and a brief explanation of the procedure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator pulleys