Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Mystery Clanking Noises in Front Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 10:27 AM
Jonnynights
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Clanking Noises in Front Suspension

I've owned my 98 Ram Van for years. It has a 3500 frame but listed as 2500.

The I have replaced many of the front suspension parts on it throughout the years but, I still hear cranking noises in it. Particularly, slow moving or slow turning. I have had many mechanics look at it but, nobody has figured it out. Im beginning to think it's not the suspension and think it might be a ujoint or something else. The noise is random but, consistent. Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:51 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

It. Could. Be. Anything.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:44 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I notice some of those noises too, mainly in the morning taking off to work. The street is a tiny bit rough and at real slow speed the small clanks can be heard.
Had a buddy suggest it was motor mount/transmission mount, I'm uncertain, in gear and foot on the brake my motor has little movement so just not sure on that...

You might check the strut rods and bushings for wear, that would clank if the bushings are bad. The rod is bolted to the lower control arm and angles back and up to the frame at it's support there (just about under the front seats on both sides) that's where the bushings are. changed mine maybe 4-5 years ago, they were compressed and I could spin the large washer and bushing both sides.
If those are bad on yours you'll notice an improvement stopping and turns and less noise too. You'll also want to do an alignment if they are changed out.

Last edited by JFloors; 04-20-2018 at 06:45 PM. Reason: misspell

Quick Reply: Mystery Clanking Noises in Front Suspension