Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Lug Bolts / Wheel Stud - can't find for big front heavy duty axle 4000 lb. 1995 B3500

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 02:42 AM
SBQ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lug Bolts / Wheel Stud - can't find for big front heavy duty axle 4000 lb. 1995 B3500

Help. Can not find replacement wheel stud bolts for my 1995 B3500 Ram Van RV. It seems Napa and all the others on their computer only show the standard axle stud bolts but no listing of the heavy duty variant for the FRONT wheels. Local garage mechanic could not source any and Dodge dealer's computer shows nothing. The original wheel studs appear to be worn due to excessive torqueing or use of their high powered air tools by tire shops. The front axle rating I believe is 4000 lb and GVWR 9000lb.

Can someone point to me online where these stud bolts can be found? Sorry don't have a picture of the actual bolts.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:34 AM
cruzer55
Veteran

Dealer Parts Counter,fix you right up & In stock...Just a Thought.....................

Old 05-19-2018, 12:51 PM
SBQ

Uh. I did mention "Dodge dealer's computer shows nothing" I brought the part down and the parts guy knew what it was but can't locate it because it's too old. Maybe a different Dodge dealer may know but that would require a trip to another city.

Obviously it's not a simple part to locate if all the aftermarket shops like Napa have a computer listing that points only to the 'standard' front axle which is entirely different to the heavy duty axle version these 3500 RV conversions have. Why couldn't Dodge use something more compatible like in their Ram Trucks? Local auto wrecker even brought out a wheel stud off a 3500 TRUCK to see if it was the same... but entirely different.

If I get desperate I may have to take the wheel off again to photo and measure. All 8 factory lugs do hold but i'm wanting spares to carry around for the time when a garage shop strips and spins the lug bolts with excessive power (vs hand removing the lug nuts).

Old 05-19-2018, 06:19 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might try seeing if a tire shop like Big 0 or Les Schwab or the like can find a match for the stud if you bring it to them...

Old 05-19-2018, 09:23 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dorman has a very good fastener catalog including wheel studs with measurements.
https://www.dormanproducts.com/flipb...e-Hardware.pdf

Your vehicle should have a sticker under the hood listing the front axle weight capacity. The dealer should also be able to give you a Part # even if they can't sell you the part. I was just given the ASD relay part # which I ran on Rock-Auto's part # search to find substitutes.

If anybody has the ability to get old CDs/DVDs from dealers that would be a big help. I have many Dodge parts catalogs but none for our vans.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:38 PM
SBQ

Hi SteveR,

Yes confirmed under the hood printed front axle is 4000 lb rating so it is indeed a different breed that most ram vans. The local Napa shop looked carefully in the Dorman catalog and brought what he could find closest ; it still didn't fit - it was just slightly smaller than the original, despite the catalog listing of 5/8" size.

It seems local Dodge parts dept doesn't care or keep old catalog listings on their computer. I will have to go to another Dodge shop in another town to see. As a matter of interest, we are located in Canada so the Napa shop wondered if the Dodge Ram Vans had a particular different run of wheel axles for Canadian B3500 productions? I will be in Anchorage AK next week so will stop by the dealer there to see. One thing certain, you really can't go by online catalogs like AutoZone etc. because they don't even show which Dorman bolt is suited for which axle? When there's 2 version of axles in the B3500, all of them seem to list just the light duty one.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:00 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, maybe it's on this page?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pages from 94truck.pdf (25.4 KB, 94 views)
Old 05-19-2018, 10:50 PM
SBQ

Thanks SteveR

I've printed it out and will bring with me to the Dodge dealer. Shows 5/8" size lug wheel with the B3 descriptor (B3500 van) and not the truck. I know online Napa shows they have the 5/8" lug Dorman bolt in their computer listing but it's miles smaller than actual 5/8". So at the Dodge dealer I will get them to use a Vernier caliper to measure the bolts before buying.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:13 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I see rockauto has the 5/8" studs: WAGNER BD61137

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...,lug+stud,7680

Old 05-20-2018, 05:43 PM
SBQ

Originally Posted by alloro
I see rockauto has the 5/8" studs: WAGNER BD61137

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...,lug+stud,7680
Likewise listing with Napa.. They're not the same. They need to have a specific listing for the 4000 lb axle. SteveR has the best illustration from the Dodge catalog where it shows 2 types of front wheel hub assemblies which shows entirely different wheel lug size and shape. The 4000 lb axle is a 2 part hub assembly - none of this is mentioned on any of those online AutoZone websites.

Quick Reply: Lug Bolts / Wheel Stud - can't find for big front heavy duty axle 4000 lb. 1995 B3500