Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Project Idea - Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 04:59 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Project Idea - Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror

It turns out that Gentex makes a lot of the OEM auto-dimming mirrors and they can also be found with options such as a compass, outdoor temperature, and rear-view camera display. It also turns out that these mirrors are pretty much stand-alone so you can use them in anything. I am going to start hunting at the junkyards to see what I can find as my rear view mirror is beginning to delaminate internally. You wouldn't believe how nice the auto-dimming mirrors are...my Jeep has one and it always shows a good rear image.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:23 PM
SteveR
Captain

I dropped in at the junk yard on the way home tonight and got a Gentex GNTX-177 out of a nasty 2002 Yukon of some sorts for 20 bucks. There are a couple flavours of the GNTX-177 but the one I got has the compass and outdoor temperature. Having the Homelink would have been nice as I can use it to open the gate at work but I don't take the van to work very often so no big deal to badge in instead. I really wanted the temperature display because the thing runs off the vehicle battery and is a professional piece of equipment vs the cigarette lighter powered stuff found on Ebay.

Removing the mirror is not bad. Remove the upper console using a Philips screw driver and start tugging on the wiring to dislodge it. Cut it to get as much wire as possible and remove the mirror from the windshield using a Torx screw driver.

Removing the sensors is not bad either. You can remove the grille from the vehicle with a Philips screw driver. Turn a couple fasteners 90 degrees and the grille will be off. I grabbed two temperature sensors (one from each side of the vehicle located behind the grille). One is part 15035786 (Grey one with the bracket) which was on the drivers side and this is the one you want. One is 90477289 from the passenger side (this was for the EFI or something, not needed).

Compass Calibration: http://www.gentex.com/sites/default/...leshooting.pdf I'll post the wiring diagram after I confirm it's correct, there are a few of them out there.

1GKEK13ZX2J297229

Old 10-05-2018, 10:35 PM
SteveR
Captain

Found the wiring on http://www.bbbind.com/free-tsb/

Looks like I need key switched battery voltage and the sensor at a minimum. I could use the back-up light signal to change the mirror mode when in reverse but this seems to be optional. There is also something for the side mirrors but I won't be using this as I am not changing the side mirrors.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mirror Wiring.pdf (400.4 KB, 40 views)

Quick Reply: Project Idea - Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror