Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Electrical/Check engine light issues.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:52 PM
Brynwdeamer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical/Check engine light issues.

Dodge RAM 1989 B250 5.2L.

For the last half a year we have been having the issue of Check engine Light flashing on at random time, and the engine dying. Sometime is would happen just when we turned the key on and then the engione would not even start.
But it always did eventually and would run for a while. One mechanic replaced the ECM relay with no change, then opened, cleaned and applied Diatectic Grease to every connector they could find. It would work for a couple of hundre miles and then start doing it again. There was one connector in particular that seem to cause the problem so we buypassed it and connected all 8 wires in it directly to each other using little socket connectors. Again it seemed to work for a while, but last weekend when I went to move it around our driveway, it all happened again. Our mechanic doesn't think it it is the computer but that we just have to keep chasing down bad connections.

One then that seems weird to me is that the time that I turn the key on and the check engine light is flashing and the ECM relay is buzzing, the electric Clutch to the A/C is also snapping on and off.. I haven't worked out why the A/C clutch would be involved when the AC is turned off and the engine is not even actually running.

Last edited by Brynwdeamer; 10-18-2018 at 09:30 PM. Reason: too many digits in the year! - got rid of the facebook link since it would not work
Old 10-18-2018, 07:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Have you check battery connections? It really sounds like a low-voltage problem.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:29 PM
Brynwdeamer

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Have you check battery connections? It really sounds like a low-voltage problem.
Interesting..Wouldn't that make the starter motor turn slowly? It turns over and turns the engine no problem. But I will clean the battery connections this weekend just in case!

Old 10-21-2018, 10:50 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Brynwdeamer
One then that seems weird to me is that the time that I turn the key on and the check engine light is flashing and the ECM relay is buzzing, the electric Clutch to the A/C is also snapping on and off.. I haven't worked out why the A/C clutch would be involved when the AC is turned off and the engine is not even actually running.
This could indicate bad contacts in the ignition switch.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:35 PM
aquarias

Ive been having trouble with mine for some time now , sounds like yours , the fix was the CTS or Coolant tempsensor on the block not the one on the plentium, or the one on the block for the guage, but the one for the ecm,unless it has the 2 prong for both , I replaced everything else, and wahla that problem of dying its finally over with !

Old 10-22-2018, 08:37 PM
Brynwdeamer

Originally Posted by alloro
This could indicate bad contacts in the ignition switch.
Good thinking - Maybe I can check that somehow.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:38 PM
Brynwdeamer

Originally Posted by aquarias
Ive been having trouble with mine for some time now , sounds like yours , the fix was the CTS or Coolant tempsensor on the block not the one on the plentium, or the one on the block for the guage, but the one for the ecm,unless it has the 2 prong for both , I replaced everything else, and wahla that problem of dying its finally over with !
Thanks - something else to check!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical/Check engine light issues.