Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2001: Ram van 3500 5.9l

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 08:54 AM
lodhe54
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2001: Ram van 3500 5.9l

Hi all,

I have a water leak when it rains that seems to be coming from the "cowl" cover. I have it parked with the front slightly lower than the rear. It seems to be dripping onto a hose in the center, then running down the hose, dripping onto the alternator and then the passenger valve cover pooling at the back of that and dripping down the rear of the block.

I replaced the spark plugs and noticed they were very rusty on the outside of them so This may have been going on for a while. Under the plastic cowl cover are there drain holes in there that need cleaned or is this a engineering flaw? The plastic cowl does not seem to have any seals other than the top end of the hood which is not ripped and in good shape.

Let me know it is causing my engine to squeak and squawk when I start her up. Water getting in the belt on pulleys I suppose. I do see it dripping right on the alternator.

Thanks!

Old 11-06-2018, 09:31 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Is the rubber seal missing under the hood along the top of the hood opening?

Old 11-06-2018, 12:17 PM
lodhe54

There is a rubber seal on the plastic cowl cover that contacts the hood. No seal on the hood itself. it looks like it is leaking behind the plastic cowl and dripping down the edge and under onto my engine tubes and alternator.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:31 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by lodhe54
There is a rubber seal on the plastic cowl cover that contacts the hood. No seal on the hood itself.
I'm talking about the seal where the red box is in this picture. If that seal is missing the water will just pour onto the engine.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:16 PM
lodhe54

Yes that looks exactly like mine. I have the rubber seal on the top of the plastic cowl cover. The water seems to be coming from under the plastic cowl cover on the passenger side then drips down onto the tubes and alternator below and runs down my passenger valve cover. To the driver side of your plastic air tube. Is there a cowl duct in there behind this cover we are talking about? Or is there a felt or seal on this cover to the windshield at all?

Leaking behind plastic cowl cover at arrow.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:19 PM
lodhe54

I may have a leak in my seal I will look at it again more in-depth. I did not see a tear or anything.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:54 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Maybe the cowl drain tube is clogged so water can't get out forcing it to fall out the bottom.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:27 AM
lodhe54

I couldn't find the cowl drain when I took off the cowl cover. However, I did find three holes in the bottom and front bottom of the Cowl. Not sure if there were screws in there before, but, I plugged them with marine grade sealant and it is going to rain this week so we shall see. What I am searching for now is the plastic or nylon cowl screw grommets. I need a few new screws and to replace several of the grommets. My cowl cover is cracked in the center and have both side clips snapped off as well as the felt seal against windshield is destroyed. So I need a new cowl cover as well. Let me know where I can get the cowl cover, the cowl cover screw grommets and the screws please. Whoever told me to mark the wipers on the windshield before I took them off saved me a lot of hassle and time! Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2001: Ram van 3500 5.9l