Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1999 dodge 3500 van giving me fits!

Old 06-13-2019, 09:16 PM
Percy Claar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 dodge 3500 van giving me fits!

I have a 99 dodge ram 15 passenger van that's giving me fits.Love the van but cant trust it.Runs great for sometimes 100 miles ,sometimes 300 miles ,sometimes only 10 miles.Then it starts cutting out,losing power then eventually goes into a limp mode where overdrive quits and power is severely reduced.if I stop for ten minutes or simply turn key off and on 5 times while drifting down the road it most times fixes it and off u go again for 10 to 300 miles.i had codes come up for IAC,LDP,and TCC in trans.I have replaced all 3 with mopar parts.plus installed plugs.wires.cap and rotor.Also new fuel pump,cat convertor,and coil.and today new terminals on battery,cleaned plug ins to pcm,and cleaned up every ground I could find.Took off on an 80 mile trip ,made 70 before it started sputtering ,losing power and going into like a limp mode where trans dont shift.Had code reader with me and it gave p1495 (LDP curcuit) & P0743TCC selenoid curcuit)both parts new from dodge.recently installed.Does anybody have any answers,besides just throwing more parts at it.Thanx

Old 06-14-2019, 07:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

LDP and TCC won't cause those issues. Cam position sensor, or crank sensor might...... but, given the intermittent nature of the problem, and simply restarting usually 'fixes' it...... could be failing PCM as well...... How to figure out which one??? Probably need an oscilloscope to see what's happening while you are driving, and the problem presents itself.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:15 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Percy Claar
I have a 99 dodge ram 15 passenger van that's giving me fits.Love the van but cant trust it.Runs great for sometimes 100 miles ,sometimes 300 miles ,sometimes only 10 miles.
The PCM is failing.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:51 AM
86RoyalSE

Could it be a poor connection(s) at the PCM to the PCM harness? I had a problem with my A/C quitting on me (in my 1997 B3500). I tracked it down to one of those connections at the PCM (I used the service manual to diagnose). At first I would fix the A/C by re-seating the connector, but it would eventually happen again. Finally, I sprayed DeoxIt on all the connectors and I haven't had the problem since.

In the navy I was a crew member on the P-3 Orion, an aircraft designed in the 1950s. We actually still had tubes in the prop sync unit when I first started out! Anyway, we were frequently having to troubleshoot radios and other electronics. We would always start out with 1) cycle the power switch, 2) cycle the circuit breaker, and 3) re-seat the electronic box (the device). That would solve a high percentage of our problems. After that we would move on to spraying freon (it came in spray cans like Canned Air) on various likely suspects (to cool them), and cleaning various connections with something like DeoxIt.

Last edited by 86RoyalSE; 06-14-2019 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Elaborate
Old 06-15-2019, 03:42 AM
lottamopar
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey! I went through this with my 99 conversion van. I replaced the IAC, cleaned the throttle body, tried adjusting the idle speed set screw, did the plugs, wires, cap rotor etc. Read about the crank position sensor somewhere (maybe on here). Took mine out to find it covered with a blob of metal filings. I cleaned it off and reinstalled it at the van worked just fine. No stalling, no intermittent rough idle or occasional hiccups. I figured all of that magnetized "hair" on the end of the sensor was causing an inaccurate timing reference for the computer. Has been fine ever since ( about 3 years now). I am sure at some point I will need to take it out an check it again (like the next time you do the spark plugs).
Hope this helps!

Old 06-26-2019, 09:30 AM
Ladycharlie
Default Had same problem

it was on an 05 Mazda Tribute, but ended up changing all coils & Pcm. It had individual spark plug coils. Couldn’t replace just one according to the book. PCM & coils had to be replaced together, or their interdependency would cause failure. Happy to say it went on for @18 months before tranny died.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 dodge 3500 van giving me fits!