Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Reverse takes 10 seconds to engage

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 08:04 PM
Greyson Queen-Gene
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse takes 10 seconds to engage

Haiiii. I'm pretty new to fixing vehicles, but I'm trying to learn! My 1998 Ram van 3500 has a couple issues, one of which being that reverse takes almost 10 seconds to engage! I've added more transmission fluid and my next step is changing the transmission filter. Is there anything else that people might suggest? Thanks in advance! ❤️❤️

Old 07-15-2019, 09:59 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Greyson Queen-Gene
I've added more transmission fluid
Adding more is not the same as adding enough. Did you check the fluid level with the engine warm and running in Park?

Old 07-15-2019, 03:15 PM
Greyson Queen-Gene

Originally Posted by alloro
Adding more is not the same as adding enough. Did you check the fluid level with the engine warm and running in Park?
I'll double check, but yes, with the engine running and warm I check the transmission fluid and it seemed to be in the "safe" area.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:18 PM
Widebody
Rookie

I'll double check, but yes, with the engine running and warm I check the transmission fluid and it seemed to be in the "safe" area.
You should check the level when the transmission is up to operating temperature and in neutral with parking brake on. If it is just reverse, have you checked to make sure the parking cable is lined up properly at the gear shift and transmission? Can you move the gearshift past reverse just slightly prior to neutral and see if it engages?

Old 07-15-2019, 08:36 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a big transmission cooler installed on my 1991 and it will drain back to the pan if I am parked for a few weeks. When this happens I just leave the transmission in neutral for a few seconds so it can pump fluid throughout the system again. That being said, I can't move in any gear when this happens.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:50 PM
Greyson Queen-Gene

Originally Posted by Widebody
You should check the level when the transmission is up to operating temperature and in neutral with parking brake on. If it is just reverse, have you checked to make sure the parking cable is lined up properly at the gear shift and transmission? Can you move the gearshift past reverse just slightly prior to neutral and see if it engages?
I'll check fluid that way for sure! I'm not sure if the cable is lined up properly. I'll definitely check, but the only reason I wouldn't think it has to do with a cable is because it takes the exact same amount of time for reverse to engage every time, without exception.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:51 PM
Greyson Queen-Gene

Originally Posted by SteveR
I have a big transmission cooler installed on my 1991 and it will drain back to the pan if I am parked for a few weeks. When this happens I just leave the transmission in neutral for a few seconds so it can pump fluid throughout the system again. That being said, I can't move in any gear when this happens.
I drive the vehicle all the time so I don't think it has to do with fluid settling anywhere.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:12 PM
Widebody
Rookie

I drive the vehicle all the time so I don't think it has to do with fluid settling anywhere.
In the transmission line, there is a check valve that prevents transmission fluid to drain back to the pan when you shut it off. Upon startup the lack of fluid in the system can prevent the transmission from moving until fluid is pressurized again. The transmission fluid only circulates when in R, N, D 1 2. It does not circulate in park.

A common mod was to delete the check valve as that could also create your transmission to overheat if it gummed up.

Are you the original owner? Is this a new problem that just happened? Does it happen in drive?

Old 07-16-2019, 12:36 PM
Greyson Queen-Gene

Originally Posted by Widebody
In the transmission line, there is a check valve that prevents transmission fluid to drain back to the pan when you shut it off. Upon startup the lack of fluid in the system can prevent the transmission from moving until fluid is pressurized again. The transmission fluid only circulates when in R, N, D 1 2. It does not circulate in park.

A common mod was to delete the check valve as that could also create your transmission to overheat if it gummed up.

Are you the original owner? Is this a new problem that just happened? Does it happen in drive?

Oh interesting i didn't know that it didn't circulate in park, but now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense.

I'm definitely not the original owner, nor was the person who sold it to me. I'm not sure how recent of a problem it is because the previous owner only owned it for a couple months before having to sell it to pay something else off and the problem existed when he bought it. It doesn't happen in any other gear, only reverse.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

If that's the only problem it has, think I would just learn to love it, and not worry about it.

Quick Reply: Reverse takes 10 seconds to engage