Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Stereo wiring

Old 01-27-2020, 05:29 PM
Ramvanchild
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo wiring

Hello all!

I have a 1988 dodge b250, I'm currently trying to fix the stereo system and finally get some tunes in my van. I bought this van a year ago and the stereo hasn't worked since I bought it, the previous owner told me the stereo unit is broken and needs replacement.

Upon first inspection of stereo system I found; the speakers were removed, there is just bare wire leading to the stereo and the unit itself seems to function properly just without sound. I got a pair of (5 1/2", 8 ohm) car speakers (both tested on my home stereo and work). I tried one speaker on both the Rear left and Rear right speaker wires, no sound. I tried with both the radio and cd player, no sound. I found this wiring guide and it is correct to the best of my knowledge. Both wires for the rear left and right speaker are connected correctly. The power antenna / amp wire is cut (black plug, pin G) as well as front right/left speaker positive wires are also cut (black plug, pins C,D) that explained why the dash speaker does not function.

Sooo, is the reason there is no sound because the power antenna / amp wire isn't connected? or was the previous owner right, the stereo is fried and needs to be replaced?
I also cannot see where the power antenna/amp wire was cut from, whatever it was attached to seems to have been removed.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:03 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

See if these wire colors make a difference.
Constant 12V+ - Red
Switched 12V+ - Red/White
Ground - Chassis
Illumination - Black/Yellow
Dimmer - n/a
Antenna - Right Front
Front Speakers - 3 1/2" Dash
Left Front (+) - Green
Left Front (-) - Black/Red
Right Front (+) - Purple
Right Front (-) - Black/Red
Rear Speakers - 6" x 9" Rear Doors
Left Rear (+) - Brown
Left Rear (-) - Black/Red
Right Rear (+) - Blue/Red
Right Rear (-) - Black/Red

The following users liked this post:
Ramvanchild (05-04-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 06:52 PM
89RamVan
Amateur
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm surprised to hear problems with the factory stereo. I have an '89 Dodge Van which I bought new with just the base model AM/FM stereo (radio delete for credit was an option). That way, I got the antenna and all power & speaker wiring. Even though it didn't come with rear speakers, the wiring was there, so when I upgraded the stereo I didn't have to run new wires.

I went to an overhead console Sony CD player with 1/8" aux line (.mp3 player or Sirius direct line in), but I always kept a stock stereo in the dash for looks & night lighting. Later on, I went to a junkyard & found the top line Chrysler Infinity system, then ran two complete stereo systems. I have kicker boxes + speakers you can take out the back door for camping. Obviously wiring is now a nightmare. But I have an '89 factory shop manual with wiring schematics & will look to see if I can add any advice to what's already been posted. Good luck.

Last edited by 89RamVan; 02-12-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:14 PM
Ramvanchild
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Between my wire colors and the ones you posted, it all looks correct.
Still looking for a new deck though. Having no luck. I bought an adapter to hooked up other brands decks If I can find one.
Ill try mine again in the mean time.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:08 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 573 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramvanchild
Between my wire colors and the ones you posted, it all looks correct.
Still looking for a new deck though. Having no luck. I bought an adapter to hooked up other brands decks If I can find one.
Ill try mine again in the mean time.

If your origina radio has the black and grey connectors in back, any Mopar radio from the 1990's up to 2001 will fit. Later ones can be had with both a tape deck and a CD player.

The following users liked this post:
Ramvanchild (05-04-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stereo wiring