DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Ram Van (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-van-100/)
-   -   Ticking Noise From Doghouse? Valves? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-van/431722-ticking-noise-from-doghouse-valves.html)

ian94b250 07-18-2020 08:28 PM

Ticking Noise From Doghouse? Valves?

Hoping someone can help me out. I was driving over the mountains here in Washington and used 'overdrive off' to climb a couple steep hills. My oil pressure light started flashing and I started hearing a ticking/clicking noise from what sounds like the doghouse. I had just checked my oil level and it was fine. I'm thinking maybe valve damage. I just got the van but it has 183,000 miles.

It's running fine now, but the oil light flashes at idle.

Any idea what a top end rebuild would cost me vs buying a refurbished engine?

I have a long drive home, so I hope this beast can make it. Thanks for any help.

HeyYou 07-18-2020 09:25 PM

Verify if you actually have oil pressure issues before you spend a dime. No point doing a top end rebuild, if the bearings in the bottom end are shot. Put a mechanical gauge on it, and see what oil pressure is at idle, on a fully warmed engine.

ian94b250 07-19-2020 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3487486)
Verify if you actually have oil pressure issues before you spend a dime. No point doing a top end rebuild, if the bearings in the bottom end are shot. Put a mechanical gauge on it, and see what oil pressure is at idle, on a fully warmed engine.

Awesome. I'll do that when I get home. So, are bearings in the bottom end going bad pretty common? How would I determine if the bearings are shot vs something in the top end?

I also noticed a rattling coming from my catalytic converter today. Pretty sure it's toast. Definitely some exhaust leaks as I pressurized the system with a shop vac and sprayed soapy water down there. I couldn't find much in the way of instructions on how to replace it. I prefer everything DIY, but I've never worked on exhaust systems. Do you have any pointers? Thanks a lot for the direction. I'd really like to keep this van and would consider forking out some money for someone to do the engine if I can do some of the other things myself. Just on a tight budget.

Busted Nuckles 07-19-2020 08:54 AM

My catalytic converter was broken up and a chunk was lodged in the rear of the housing plugging my exhaust. The motor got progressively slower and lower on power until it hardly ran. They aren't cheap and mine was welded in the exhaust pipe. Junk yards cant sell used ones either where I am. It had no effect on oil pressure of course but It needs to be fixed. Sounds like you need a motor overhaul.

HeyYou 07-19-2020 09:39 AM

Oil pressure will tell the tale. If you really do have low pressure at idle, it's time for a rebuild. Nothing on the top end will really effect oil pressure.

ian94b250 07-19-2020 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3487514)
Oil pressure will tell the tale. If you really do have low pressure at idle, it's time for a rebuild. Nothing on the top end will really effect oil pressure.

Thanks guys. I'm currently at a campground, so I'll try to drive it home today and check oil pressure as soon as I can. I'll let you know what I find out.

How hard are these engines to pull and rebuild? I have access to a tool library that will let me borrow a hoist and most tools. I could probably get my dad to help... I've never taken on an engine, but I'm fairly mechanically competent when I put myself to it and enjoy learning as much as I can about vehicles.

Is it something I could take on myself? I see a lot of rebuild kits online for a pretty cheap. I see remanufactured engines for a few thousand bucks. How much would labor be on a rebuild? I do know a few shade tree mechanics who might be able to do it, but I have no idea how much a fair price would be for a rebuild.

HeyYou 07-19-2020 02:36 PM

Generally.... A rebuild can cost as much, or more.... than simply buying an already remanufactured long block. And then there is the fun of finding a machine shop that can do the necessary work for you, in a reasonable amount of time.

Swapping engines is an exercise, but, don't really need any special tools to do it. Gotta disassemble a LOT of the front of the van to get it out/back in though. But, being a van, some of the most interesting parts are actually pretty easy, given the access you have to the engine/trans bolts. :) You and your dad could likely manage the swap in a weekend.

ian94b250 07-19-2020 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3487565)
Generally.... A rebuild can cost as much, or more.... than simply buying an already remanufactured long block. And then there is the fun of finding a machine shop that can do the necessary work for you, in a reasonable amount of time.

Swapping engines is an exercise, but, don't really need any special tools to do it. Gotta disassemble a LOT of the front of the van to get it out/back in though. But, being a van, some of the most interesting parts are actually pretty easy, given the access you have to the engine/trans bolts. :) You and your dad could likely manage the swap in a weekend.

That's a really good point. I'm pretty exhausted from gutting the van down to the metal and then building it up from there. I just got the walls, floors, roof, 12v 440ah system, and water in... and put new captains chairs in... don't really want to bail on the project. It drove home 100 miles just fine, but I took it really easy. Still flashing oil pressure light at idle only. Still hear a little ticking but it sounds like it's coming from the top end... I'll test oil pressure tomorrow and change the oil. You think 10w50 is a good idea?

I found a remanufactured crate engine for $2500 plus tax and free shipping. The tranny has maybe 20k miles on it, so with a new engine and exhaust system, I should have a pretty solid van... haha. Thanks again!

HeyYou 07-20-2020 09:06 AM

Heavier oil is just a bandaid fix. I don't recommend it on a van you want to put a lot of miles on. That's just asking for trouble. :D

ian94b250 07-20-2020 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3487628)
Heavier oil is just a bandaid fix. I don't recommend it on a van you want to put a lot of miles on. That's just asking for trouble. :D

Gotcha, I'll hold off on that then. Do you have any recommendations for guidance around removing and installing a new 5.9 L engine?