Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Replaced fusible links with block, starts up quicker

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 02:53 PM
Lkegley9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced fusible links with block, starts up quicker

I wanted to post here to perhaps have a discussion.

Its taken me a while, been two and a half years with it. It ran when I bought it, but it didn't drive. (Craigslist ad said it drove, but decided might as well give this a Go)

Its an 89 B350 w/ 360ci Throttle Body Injected. Its missing one window, currently covered with a board. . There is other body work I will have to do, rusty doors and what not, but it will be fine.

Long story short, I ended up getting a 727 from a salvage yard from a 78 Dodge unknown-model . . . got a nine and quarter rearend off a 99 van . . . and a new drive shaft made from a local company. Only thing thats original is the engine, which definitely needs to be re-ringed, amongst other things.

Anyway, I am learning as I go, but it helps to have worked on computers and electronics for a while, so I know a thing or two about a thing or two.

Setting up a fuse block was actually rather fun and rewarding, seeing as how the van starts up better now.

I could tell the fusible links were original. Definitely needed to be replaced, even though the van did start before.

Still have the original bulkhead connector. Had to run the headlight and 'conversion' wires straight through.

If you are considering replacing fusible links, change it to a block. It is definitely not overly difficult, but its certainly a task. I will have to re-think some of it later, but I know it will be doable, and I won't have to re-splice wires again.

I set up a battery/ignition coil 150-amp fuse. Then ran the wire from that fuse to the block. [The block is attached to the brake booster with magnets and the wire holds it up good, though this isn't permanent. Need to re-think the mounting. Maybe under the battery plate? But I have to clean so much rust out of there first.] The starter relay connects to the block's unfused hot. The starter relay was not fuse linked in the original set-up, so I tried to follow the original setup as close as I could. It helps that I picked up an FSM a few months ago.

Any way, not really asking any questions, but would really love to answer some. But even if you have a concern or maybe some information to share with me, let me know.

PS This van is not on the road. Have a lot to do before that will happen. Have some parts on the way that will get me closer.

PSS Would love to share pictures, but unsure of a hosting service anymore. Used to use Photobucket, but its been a long time since I have done that.

Last edited by Lkegley9; 03-03-2021 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Replaced fusible links with block, starts up quicker