Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Weird event with my van.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 05:15 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

But if it was pinched off there would be no pressure and it wouldn't even start.

Old 08-21-2023, 10:12 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffersonracing
But if it was pinched off there would be no pressure and it wouldn't even start.

I wonder if a relay is trying to fail. The next time it does this, swap the fuel pump relay with the a/c relay. They are the same part and you can get by without a/c for a bit. That's assuming a former military vehicle has a/c. If Generals rode in it, it does. Enlisted grunts, maybe not.

Old 08-21-2023, 11:12 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional

That's good to know. My trust has been eroded now as not sure If it will get me home. Another fear is something electrical got heat soaked while loading and then started crapping out when I took off. To me it didn't seem like electrical and felt much more like fuel pump.

Old 08-22-2023, 01:29 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

That's good to know. My trust has been eroded now as not sure If it will get me home. Another fear is something electrical got heat soaked while loading and then started crapping out when I took off. To me it didn't seem like electrical and felt much more like fuel pump.

A few years ago, I bought a 2001 Ram 2500 with the 8800 pound chassis set up. One serious truck. I loaded that puppy down and it never really squatted much. It had a new fuel pump and the owner seemed in a hurry to get rid of it. I was at the back doing some paperwork in my truck with the a/c going. I heard a buzzing coming from the rear of the truck while parked. The only thing back there moving was the fuel pump. I swapped the relays and it went away. The a/c started giving me trouble. A new relay. cheap, and the problem was solved. Heat soak can work on a relay quick if it's a bit iffy.

Old 08-22-2023, 02:19 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional

I was thinking I would just get a new relay as preventative maintenance. Helped me make up my mind.

Old 08-23-2023, 11:35 AM
97St.Wagon3500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would start with new relay. Also consider the ignition switch ( electrical component, not mechanical )

Old 08-23-2023, 05:09 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional

A new ignition switch has already been done.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:20 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

A new ignition switch has already been done.

I'm just wondering who converted it to gasoline. I've seen dual fuel conversions and the propane of CNG was removed, I've never seen one that was NOT gasoline powered to begin with.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:24 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional

This was a factory cng van and I have the factory shop manual for it that covers all the cng stuff. No idea who converted it to gas.

Old 08-25-2023, 06:21 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional

Decided to make a fairly short trip to pick up some AMSOIL, but didn't make it. Same scenario. Swapped the relays which didn't change anything. He picked me up and got the oil and we talked for a while to let it cool off. Went back and the van was gone. Police had it towed. Big bummer, but at least it wasn't towed by some theft ring. While I was waiting I saw a cop go by and never even paid any attention to me. Then barney fife went by and had it towed. The tow bill is $100 higher than when I had it towed a longer distance the other night. Quite a money making operation they have going on.

Quick Reply: Weird event with my van.