Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Weird event with my van.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 12:04 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

But then I still need to have it towed to get it back home. I'm not sure how long it takes for the thing to cool off enough to fire back up, but it's more than a few hours.

Old 08-27-2023, 12:33 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffersonracing
But then I still need to have it towed to get it back home. I'm not sure how long it takes for the thing to cool off enough to fire back up, but it's more than a few hours.

Pity I'm not closer. I'll be in KC in July of next year but otherwise I'm about a 7 hour drive away. I can't swing by to help you. I don't go for "Jack Leg" repairs but I have been known to use "field expedients" to get things home or to a shop.

Carry a cooler with some ice in baggies. When the van dies, hold a baggie or two of ice on it to cool it down. 5 minutes of ice on it ought to cool it down to at least start. Is this your only driver? Rebuilding services on Fleabay run between $140 and $200. I'm assuming it has to be programmed for your unit. Part of the problem might be the fuel conversion.

Old 08-27-2023, 07:10 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional

I've looked at ecu rebuilds and saw they weren't too bad. I'm also thinking as long as I have to drop the tank for the cross support I may as well put a new pump in it.

I love that idea on the ice to cool the ecu. That way I don't have to worry about getting home with out a tow. Nice thinking outside the box.

I thought of spraying water on it, but with my luck I figured it would get into some connection and mess that up as well.

Old 08-27-2023, 09:12 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

I've looked at ecu rebuilds and saw they weren't too bad. I'm also thinking as long as I have to drop the tank for the cross support I may as well put a new pump in it.

I love that idea on the ice to cool the ecu. That way I don't have to worry about getting home with out a tow. Nice thinking outside the box.

I thought of spraying water on it, but with my luck I figured it would get into some connection and mess that up as well.

A local grocery chain now sells dry ice. That would be more elegant and less messy than baggies full of ice cubes. I personally would just let the van idle on a hot day. Maybe run a hair dryer on the ecm. If you have anther driver, you can't afford to let it sit for the rebuild process. I'm about to lose my main driver to get Deer damage fixed but I have three other vehicles to drive. I don't like breaking down on the road. Personally, I'd rather make it fail under controlled circumstances.

Old 08-27-2023, 10:48 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional

I considered idling in the driveway, but thought it might take too long, but then there wouldn't be much airflow either. I also thought of using my heat gun on it. I could always try that first and and then if not successful take it out for a drive with tools and ice.

Having it down won't be any issue as there's other vehicles to drive. There's nothing in dire need of hauling coming up either.

Thanks for the offer of help by the way.

Old 08-28-2023, 09:50 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

I considered idling in the driveway, but thought it might take too long, but then there wouldn't be much airflow either. I also thought of using my heat gun on it. I could always try that first and and then if not successful take it out for a drive with tools and ice.

Having it down won't be any issue as there's other vehicles to drive. There's nothing in dire need of hauling coming up either.

Thanks for the offer of help by the way.

Low air flow is part of the problem. I had a Chrysler 5th Ave. that had a failing brain box and to get it home I drove with the hood open a bit on the safety catch to increase airflow over it. As for a heat gun, as Elmer Fudd would say "Be vewy vewy careful, hehehehehe". A hair dryer adds heat but heat guns can melt or cause fires to things.

Old 08-29-2023, 11:27 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional

Wouldn't it be possible for the asd relay to overheat and cause my issue. I swapped the ac relay for the fuel pump relay which didn't help, but the same principle should apply for the asd relay, correct? The fuel pump relay is controlled by the asd relay so if it acts up then the fuel pump wouldn't work. I wish I had thought of this the other day when it happened.

Old 08-30-2023, 09:37 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Wouldn't it be possible for the asd relay to overheat and cause my issue. I swapped the ac relay for the fuel pump relay which didn't help, but the same principle should apply for the asd relay, correct? The fuel pump relay is controlled by the asd relay so if it acts up then the fuel pump wouldn't work. I wish I had thought of this the other day when it happened.

It's possible. However, the more I think (I'll send you the bill for the aspirin) about it, I suspect a failing ecu. Solder welds sometimes get a crack and as heat soak heats it up, the crack can expand and open the circuit. This acts like a switch and turns it off.

The following users liked this post:
nibroc (08-31-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 03:34 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional

I'm kind of the same mind, but I was reading the sticky on the asd relay and got to thinking. I don't recall anyone talking about stopping running and then starting when cooled off. Didn't go real deep in the thread.

Old 08-31-2023, 11:23 AM
nibroc
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I also suspect a failing ecu

Quick Reply: Weird event with my van.