Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Weird event with my van.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 08:26 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Weird event with my van.

Went to pick up some bags of wood pellets last night and the total weight was right at 1000lbs. Shortly after getting on the road back the engine would stutter and lose power and then run fine and then it just got worse until the engine died and I pulled off to the side of the road. All it would do was crank with no start. I suspected a fuel pump the way it was running. Got it towed back home and I unloaded the bags this morning. Went to see if I could hear the pump run and thought I heard it so I cranked it and it started right up and ran normally. The only thing changed was the weight in the back of the van. Does anyone have an idea of what may of happened. I'm at a loss.

Old 08-21-2023, 07:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

How much gas was in the tank? Still the original fuel pump? How much did the rear squat with the weight?

Might just be something got too hot, and after it cooled, it was OK again for a while....

Old 08-21-2023, 10:07 AM
jeffersonracing
Professional

I had just put gas in the tank when I left and I have no idea about the fuel pump. This was a cng van that was converted back to gas. The rear was squated an inch or two would be my guess.

The van was shut off while being loaded for appx. 15 mins and started acting up within 2 min of leaving and then was dead before 3 min.

Old 08-21-2023, 12:31 PM
nibroc
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

cng van.....??????????????????

Old 08-21-2023, 12:39 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional

Compressed natural gas. It was a military van at Ft. Riley.

Old 08-21-2023, 01:29 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffersonracing
Went to pick up some bags of wood pellets last night and the total weight was right at 1000lbs. Shortly after getting on the road back the engine would stutter and lose power and then run fine and then it just got worse until the engine died and I pulled off to the side of the road. All it would do was crank with no start. I suspected a fuel pump the way it was running. Got it towed back home and I unloaded the bags this morning. Went to see if I could hear the pump run and thought I heard it so I cranked it and it started right up and ran normally. The only thing changed was the weight in the back of the van. Does anyone have an idea of what may of happened. I'm at a loss.

Sake, when you said weird, I thought maybe you'd been involved in time or dimensional travel. How many miles on the van? What year and engine do you have? I have seen duel fuel equipment have fuel pump issues from the gasoline pump just sitting a lot. How was the fuel selector removed? Is the selector still in the van? Is the fuel pump relay good? Have you ever loaded it like this before? Is there any place underneath where a fuel line or wire may be displaced or compressed?

(Are you sure you didn't see any little Pixies or Gnomes when you were driving?)

Old 08-21-2023, 01:36 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional

It's got about 60,000 miles on a 96 5.2. This isn't a dual fuel vehicle. It was cng which was removed and all the gas equipment was installed and this was the first time it was loaded heavy. I'm going to check the underneath to see if there is anything that could be the culprit.

Old 08-21-2023, 02:11 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

fwiw I would suspect the gas. Gas today sucks and I have seen a few times when I think I got 15-30% ethanol those times...other time I think it was water...

Just last week I got gas at Sams Club and my 2018 Colorado, which normally gets 20-21 got 16 with that gas. I ran it down to about 1/3 of a tank and put in regular Mobile and my mileage went back to 21.

I am also finding that since this summer was so hot that I had to run 89-93 octane to keep the engine from pulling too much timing...our vans were designed for real regular gas and they dont do well on any gasahol that is more than 10%...

Old 08-21-2023, 02:16 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional

I used the same gas I always use and it ran fine over there and about 6 to 8 blocks upon leaving. I really thought it was the fuel pump, but now it starts up and runs fine.

Old 08-21-2023, 05:13 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

6-8 blocks is how much you have in the fuel line

Quick Reply: Weird event with my van.