Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Electric Brake Control

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 07:04 PM
rwl3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Brake Control

I have an 06 Mega Cab that has the connector for brake controller under dash. Can someone tell me where to find the wire for the trailer brakes? All I have in the back is a 4 pin flat connector. I bought a plug/socket kit that mounts to the bumper perfect and plugs into the flat connector. The kit had 2 extra wires for aux. and brake but have found no wire to connect to for electric brake. Appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Ray

Old 08-20-2006, 11:41 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Default RE: Electric Brake Control

Your hitch doesn't have a 4 pin and a 7 pin right next to it? Has something been added, or modified?

Good luck.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:15 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have trailer/tow package on vehicle, you should have a blue connection next to the E brake. You should also have gotten the pigtail that hooks to the controller that plugs in in to that with your truck if bought brand new. Mine was in glove box and the directions are with it. The wires are marked what goes where.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:50 PM
rwl3

I do have the blue connection under the dash. The truck was bought new and the window sticker states trailer tow wiring 4-pin. I have no pigtail in the dash. I did buy one over the weekend. My dad has a 1 ton and we installed a gooseneck hitch in his this past weekend and I noticed that his harness had the same 4 pin flat like mine but also an additional part of the harness branching off with a 7-pin connector going to the bumper. Since I have the blue connector under the dash, the brake control wire has to be going somewhere. I just can't find it anywhere.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:45 AM
pcjeep

If all you see by the hitch is the 4-way, you will need to have the Electronic brake wiring harness installed. It has the 7-way connector. the other end will plug into the connector under the dash

Old 01-09-2007, 06:58 PM
grovesr

I have a 2004 SLT 1500 that also has just the 4 pin connector and I want to convert it to 7 pin to pull a trailer. Has anyone ever purchased/installed one of these?

Bob

Old 07-17-2007, 02:42 PM
jeepking1

I have an '06 Mega Cab, that had the factory 4 flat plug in the back. I bought from the dealer for $75 the 7 pin plug/harness assembly. It has the 7 pin plug that mounts on the back bumper w/ a wire that runs up inside the driver side tail light assembly if you wish to connect the lead for the backup lights. The factory 4 flat plug plugged into the new harness back at the bumper. The rest of the harness gets snaked up front where the red fused lead gets attached to the + battery terminal and the blue wire goes thru the firewall so it can be attached to the trailer brake controller. Ifound the little adapter to connect the trailer brake controller in a bag in the glove box. Note: While the wiring harness comes with instructions, they are picture instructions only with no written details.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:49 PM
rtmorrisjr
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need the 7 pin for the trailer brakes to work

Quick Reply: Electric Brake Control