Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

2001 Dodge Truck Overheating

Old 07-16-2007, 03:45 PM
01dodgegirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Truck Overheating

Quick question I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT V8 5.9 L quad cab 4wd dodge. The problem is that it continues to overheat. I live in Northern California where it tends to get to 100 plus in the summer. This truck came from a police officer in Arizona so it gets just as hot there. I have replaced the waterpump, the radiator, thermostat and gasket. Any ideas on why this may continue to happen? I have also had the oil changed and there is no water in it so I am pretty sure that the head is ok. Please me any ideas.

thanks

Old 07-16-2007, 04:44 PM
xyzik
Rookie
Default RE: 2001 Dodge Truck Overheating

maybe air pockets are trapped within the cooling system, when filling up with coolant, front end of truck should be raised (ramps or an inclined street) open radiator cap, start engine, put heat to max then fill with coolant until air pockets is dispelled.

air pockets tend to delay the opening of the thermostat or prevents the suction of coolant back from the reservoir which creates a low coolant level.

hope this helps

Old 07-16-2007, 08:33 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

how hot are we talking about here ? about 195 is normal. AC adds another 10*. slow,stop/go can add another 10* easy.

you could replace the stock 195 w/ a 180*, which should yield some improvement. if not enough improvement you could then try a 160*, but that one's more likely to throw a code and set off the check engine light, however, that won't hurt anything. i would do this first.

you could replace the fan clutch. might help, might not.

you could add a big ol external transmission cooler. this might help because your radiator also contains a transmission cooler, so there's a lot of heat trying to dissipate there. a/c adds a lot of heat too. i'd do this too, as it will make your trans last longer.

you could replace your clutch fan with electric fans, set to come on at 170-180*.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Cordoba man
Professional

An old trick we had for air pockets was to drill one or two small holes 1/8" on the thermostat to let it circulate at least a bit until the air comes out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Truck Overheating