Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel Engine -Shut Down

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 11:22 AM
wengerda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel Engine -Shut Down

Hi everyone, I purchased a new 2004 Ram 2500 turbo diesel and here is my questions regarding the shutting of the engine. By reading the manual, it states that if not towing was done, you can shut the engine in less thatn a minute, and if light towing then a few minutes, and then heavy towing four minutes prior to shutting down the engine. That part of the manual I understand, but is when you normally drive with no towing, the manual states that if no towing with the truck, you do not have to wait more than a minute to shut down. That is okay also. But my question is when I shut down the engine after driving, and not towing, the engine vibrates and even chirps when shutting down. I heard that is normal, other people said is diesel, but it sounds so bad when shut down, and when driving sounds so nice. That is my concern, the shut down and chirping and vibration. Does any adjustment will make that sound stop? Other than that, the truck is sweet, turbo is awesome.

Old 05-27-2004, 05:51 PM
MG42pillbox
Veteran
Default RE: Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel Engine -Shut Down

You should worry when your Cummins doesn't vibrate or squeak during shut down, Its supposed to do so.

Old 05-27-2004, 11:33 PM
KilrB

The chirping noise is the fan belt slipping abit when the engine shuts down. This is very common amung Dodge Diesels and nothing to worry about. Not to sure about the vibrating, but this is a I-6 Medium duty engine were talking about here. As far as running your engine after towing and driving the sole purpose for that is to cool the turbo. It takes a awhile to cool that baby down. If you dont do a proper cool down after towing the oil inside the turbo bakes from the heat and so do your bearings. I know several people who just come flying into a parking area and just turn it off. I can almost hear the turbo crying out "get me away from this Moron!". Also, this is kinda fun, if you hop out of your truck and walk arounf the the back passenger side after shutting it down. You can hear the turbo still spooling down. It almost sounds like its breathing. I striaght piped my truck so I can hear it all the way from the front of the truck.

Old 05-28-2004, 05:13 AM
MG42pillbox
Veteran

ORIGINAL: KilrB

The chirping noise is the fan belt slipping abit when the engine shuts down. This is very common amung Dodge Diesels and nothing to worry about. Not to sure about the vibrating, but this is a I-6 Medium duty engine were talking about here. As far as running your engine after towing and driving the sole purpose for that is to cool the turbo. It takes a awhile to cool that baby down. If you dont do a proper cool down after towing the oil inside the turbo bakes from the heat and so do your bearings. I know several people who just come flying into a parking area and just turn it off. I can almost hear the turbo crying out "get me away from this Moron!". Also, this is kinda fun, if you hop out of your truck and walk arounf the the back passenger side after shutting it down. You can hear the turbo still spooling down. It almost sounds like its breathing. I striaght piped my truck so I can hear it all the way from the front of the truck.
Is yours a 04.5 with the 600& Cat... Or Pre 600?

Old 05-28-2004, 09:37 AM
KilrB

A 1992 250 4x4. Pretty much pre-everything, except the first year the Cummins was officailly intercooled(you'll find some 91's).

Old 05-29-2004, 06:12 AM
MG42pillbox
Veteran

ORIGINAL: KilrB

A 1992 250 4x4. Pretty much pre-everything, except the first year the Cummins was officailly intercooled(you'll find some 91's).

I was hoping you had a 600, Trying to find someone who has a 600 Straight pipes with no back pressure. Wanted to know how much oh a difference it made.

Old 05-29-2004, 12:44 PM
KilrB

Have you been here?

TurboDieselRegister

This is the greatest place on earth for Dodge Diesel owners. I used to subscribe to there magazine as well, but they dont print to much about my generation truck anymore.

You can read and access most of the site with out being a member. TO be a member you have to get a subscription to the magazine.

Old 05-30-2004, 05:06 AM
MG42pillbox
Veteran

Yea its a great site, Thanks for reminding me.

Old 05-30-2004, 08:29 AM
RumbleBeeRam
Professional

My dad has a 600 but in a 3500...

Quick Reply: Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel Engine -Shut Down