Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

strange problem with my ram

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 05:08 PM
james ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange problem with my ram

last nite, my gf and i were walking to my truck when i noticed my reverse lights were on (lights were off, truck was off... cargo lights were off)

so i was like hmmmmmmm messed with it for a little while, couldnt figure it out but they went out.... well i still had to back out of my spot and once i did, they were stuck on again.

we went on our way and when we got where we were goin, i noticed they were still on [:@] wasnt too happy so i pulled the fuse and they stayed on. needless to say by this time, im pissed and confused.

ended up pullin the bulbs out for a temporary fix.... anybody else experienced this problem and how do i go about fixin it?

thanks in advance

Old 07-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: strange problem with my ram

Have you done anything to the wiring...? Like hooked up trailer towing wiring or anything like that?

~Amanda

Old 07-17-2004, 07:24 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

somewhere there is a reverse gear switch that is for the lights. the contacts may be stuck. ask the dealer where it is and give it a few taps. Just a thought

Old 07-18-2004, 01:55 PM
james ram

ive never done anything with the wiring, it has the tow package but its never been used... truck is bone stock as it sits in my driveway (for now )

the real kicker is, my NYS inspection is expired as of Aug 1st, needless to say the R lights have to be functional before then to pass a new one and im kinda broke considering i just bought the damn thing...

i figured id go to the dealer when i get chance this week but wanted to check first to see if anybody here has had a similar problem so i could take care of it over the weekend.

Old 07-18-2004, 01:58 PM
james ram

i also forgot to mention, at one time we were just standing there talking and the lights went out.... we werent even near the truck so its not something we did.... so i was pretty happy for that cuz i didnt think id have to tear into it, at least at that time.... but not even 5 minutes later, they came back on...

Old 07-18-2004, 10:23 PM
rambo97
Rookie

Ive never heard of this problem perse, but I have had problems with my ram ( mine is a 97) what year is your truck?
Id suggest take a half hour or so, and trace the wiring from the battery back,all relay switches, all connectors, etc.. sounds like its a loose connection or something, somewhere in your truck. My trucks interior lighting used to cut out and come on sporadically, and it took a while to figure out why... loose connections..... your problem is weird tho, the lights should NOT be ON when the truck is off at all, especially if no key was in the ignition and the headlights switch was off ( pushed all the way in, as in no parking lights or headlights on?) real weird!

Old 07-19-2004, 02:33 AM
james ram

yeah im gonna see if i can follow it around, if it stops raining in this friggin state for 5 minutes....

if it involves me doing any extensive or difficult repairs, ill proabably leave it to the pros... i bought this truck to have something that i wouldnt have to work on every weekend...

it makes no sense to me at all but i figure it has to be a stuck switch or something loose in the relay, im just trying to figure out how it got power even after i pulled the fuse out with the truck still off

ill try to keep this post up to date anytime something new breaks through

Old 07-19-2004, 01:58 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

no fuse but lights still on = a short to 12v some place. I'd get a wiring diagram & trace it back from the lamp area.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:12 PM
james ram

i also thought about that... i was gonna get one of the haynes manuals at pep boys, its always helped me out big time with my other cars, i figure it will probably also suffice for the ram.

pay day is wednesday, ill buy it on or after then and probably dig around this weekend.

Old 07-23-2004, 03:07 AM
james ram

here is the latest:

i went to a dealership today on my lunch break and talked to the svc mgr... he told me a lot of times when people have problems like that there is corossion in the tow harness so i should take a look at that unplug it and clean it out etc and see if the problem goes away. he finished by saying if that doesnt do the trick, bring it in for the svc guys to look over :x

Quick Reply: strange problem with my ram