Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Ram 1500 Brake adjustment (searched)

Old 08-27-2004, 09:40 PM
jer28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram 1500 Brake adjustment (searched)

Hi all. Well I searched and found the answer to my loose parking brake problem, but before I adjust that I would like to adjust the rear brakes first. I've only adjusted drums on fwd vehicles so please excuse my ignorance....
1.) Do I need to have the transmission in neutral? Leave the transfer case alone?
2.) Leave the tire on correct?
3.) How many turns should I get when I manually spin the tire (giving it a fairly good turn)?
4.) I see the 2 knockouts on the backing plate, which one do I want for the driver and passenger side (when your looking at the backing plate)?
5.) Can I do this with a flat screwdriver or do I need to buy a brake adjustment tool?

Thanks for any help.

Old 08-28-2004, 06:11 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ram 1500 Brake adjustment (searched)

Jack up the rear, remove the tires, leave trans in neutral. The drum should not evn spin once, it should have a light drag all the time as it spins. I do not recommend punching the knockouts as this allows more of the elements into the drum assembly. Just slip the drum off and crank ther star adjuster around a few times. You will know when its right. If the drum doesn't go on/off smoothly, its too tight. Just alittle looser than that is just right.

Old 08-29-2004, 12:15 PM
jer28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ram 1500 Brake adjustment (searched)

Thank you very much. Sounds like its basically the same (just now it will have a drag from the diff gears as well as the shoes). Hopefully the lip on the drum won't be too deep to get the drum off, but I could always get them lightly resurfaced if needed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ram 1500 Brake adjustment (searched)