Dodge Sprinter The Dodge Sprinter is all function, with styling cues from the Dodge Truck line, it makes the workaholic's job much easier. Check out the Dodge Sprinter in showrooms today!

Sprinter Transmission Interchange

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 11:13 AM
SandDragon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprinter Transmission Interchange

I love Sprinters, but there's not a lot of information out there. The more I read and search on the forums, the more confused I become. I bought a 2007 3500 3.0 Diesel Truck at an auction so I have no history. It sold as running and I had it hauled in only to discover the transmission is messed up. The fluid looks like oil judging from the dipstick. I haven't dropped the pan and valve body yet. It will roll a little forward and backward at high RPM's, but not enough to drive up onto ramps. I'm thinking torque converter clutch due to it doing the same in all gears and the color of the fluid. I get the code 2783 TC Lockup clutch has excessive power consumption.
It has the WSA380 interchange number 400-00666 722.6. The WSA380 is in several years, but when I go to search for an interchange for mine, only 2007 comes up and all used ones are high mileage transmissions. Other places claim that an 07 through a 2012 will work. When I search for rebuilds kits, they say they all have the same rebuild parts; the W5A380, W5A580 and the W5J400 (J is for Jeep). I'm not sure this is true.
I have a W5A580 in a Charger I have junked that another member on this forum claims to be identical inside. I do know the 5 in 580 means torque pressure limit which is higher that the 380 so how can they be the same if it's stronger? I watched a video where these two guys changed what they called a V8 722.6 where they changed bell housings from a 3.0 diesel to fit the transmission into the diesel. I'm very confused at this point. Has anyone been through this and can tell me what will work please?

Quick Reply: Sprinter Transmission Interchange