Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Stealth stereo

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 03:06 AM
Sinatrix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealth stereo

Hey everyone. I recently purchased a 1992 Dodge stealth R/T. I love it to death, and so far it has been good to me. Until a couple of days ago. The radio went out. I checked the fuse, but it was fine, and so I looked online and figurd how to remove the CD player to see if there was a loose connection or something...but I found nothing. The only aftermarket part I know of is a sub in the back, everything ele to my knowledge is stock. It was working fine, then one day it jsut wouldn't turn on. no power or antyhing on the radio or cd player...any ideas? I don't know much about stereos, which is why I am asking. Any advice would be very helpful, and at the very least tell me how to get my CD out (pantera's greatest hits) Thanks in advance.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:14 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: Stealth stereo

The guy you really wanna talk to is thestealth, cuz he's about the most knowledgable one on that car on this board....

That said, I'm willing to bet one of two things....either your factory amp is dead.....or your factory radio is dead.....they had a bad habit in a lot of cars during the mid to late 90's of putting car stereos powered on amps into cars.....the amp dies...the rest of its not workin at all.....

Now, I'm guessing here.....as I'm not a Stealth person.....but I've got friends with 3000GT's and 2 of them had a very similar issue....their amps both fried and nothing worked... I can't say this is the same thing for you....but it's eerily familiar....

There is also the chance your HU died and you simply are going to have to get another.....

Old 10-05-2005, 01:01 PM
thestealth
Champion

Thanks DevilsReject...I know enough to be dangerous.

Sinatrix: I'm assuming (since you drive a 92) that you have the dual unit system with the CD player on the bottom. I have not replaced the head units on my Stealths, but I do have a link that will show you what wires are control what. Stealth316, scroll about halfway down the page, and it will show you the pin-outs on the wiring harness's and wire color codes. I would check to make sure you are getting power to the head unit (red=switched supply; yellow=memory supply). If you are not getting power to these wires, go back to your fuse box and double check your fuse.stealth316 fuse layout Check fuses #4 and #13 (13 may not be applicable to a 92?) If the fuse is good, but you are not getting power to the harness, could be a faulty wire. If you are getting power to the harness, chances are your head unit has died (it is 14 years old). To retrieve your CD, you may have to carefully dismantle the CD player to get it out.

BTW, while you have your radio out, unhook the blue connector near the buzzer to be rid of the buzzing when your door is open and the keys in ignition. stealth316 buzzer removal

Please let us know how it turns out.

Old 10-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Sinatrix

Wow, thanks for all the information. Yes it is a dual unit system, with what I beleive ios the amp behind it. I am going to go check it out now, and see what up. I'll post my finding, thanks again to thestealth and devilsreject, it is greatly apperciated. Wish me luck

Old 10-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Sinatrix

Oh by the way, before I start messing with anything, how would I test to the harness? I know the radio is not turning on (probably not getting power) and I have checked the fuses, so does that take care of that? Because I don't want to purchse a new head if it's the amp, or vise versa. Thanks again for your help.

Old 10-05-2005, 08:17 PM
thestealth
Champion

A 12v test lamp is the cheapest/simplist tool to use. All you do is find a good grounding point and use the 'pointer' to test the wires in the harness (that is unplugged from the stereo).

These stereos have an internal amp built in. I think you may be confusing the ECU for the amplifier.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Sinatrix

Man I am slow...two years of auto tech and I didn't remember that simple test? Someone should slap me...either way I will try to get a new head unit (needed one anywas, couldn't read 95% of my non-burned CD's). Guess it is a sign. I'll borrow my friends tester and see whats up...thanks for all the info. Looks like I might be going without till I get some mroe cash. Thanks again.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Sinatrix

Also...the clock is on on the radio, but it is not correct...and I can't adjust it...it does however work (it changes like it should). Could this mean anything at all?

Old 10-06-2005, 05:46 PM
thestealth
Champion

The clock power (along with station memory) has their own power supply. Do you know how to set the clock?? Press display until you get to the clock and hold it until it starts flashing, then use the channel select (up and down) to set it.

*I'm not trying to insult your intelligence.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Sinatrix

*I'm not trying to insult your intelligence.
Oh no worries...I know my questions seem pretty dumb, just glad you at least anwsers them. Thank you soon much. I do know how to work the clock, but once I hold diplay and it begins to flash...nothing changes it. I have pressed every button on the radio and none of it works. Thank you for all your help though. It is greatly appreciated, insult me all you want to. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Stealth stereo