DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Stealth (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-stealth-32/)
-   -   94 RT auto trans fluid recommendations (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-stealth/37594-94-rt-auto-trans-fluid-recommendations.html)

Doodge 10-18-2005 12:44 PM

94 RT auto trans fluid recommendations

Since you can't replace all the auto trans fluid, I want to drain and dilute the remaining trans fluid w cheaper trans fluid now (for 100 miles), and later replace w good fluid and filter. ANy rec's of fluid specs?

thestealth 10-18-2005 01:03 PM

RE: 94 RT auto trans fluid recommendations

ATF +3/ATF +4 Either one should be compatible. Take it to a tranny shop and have them flush it. They still won't be able to get all of it out, but much more than just pulling the pan and letting it drain.

john123123 10-18-2005 02:55 PM

On Mopars you use "exactly" the fluid that your owners manual calls for. Have owned 2 Dodge Spirits and 1 Dodge Neon with the 3-speed automatic transmission. What does your owners manual say that you should use? On my Spirits it called for ATF 7176- ATF+3 and the 2000 Neon called for ATF+4. Many people thought they could use a Dexron ATF and be safe or use a "universal" fluid. Use exactly what you manual calls for. It might even say what ATF fluid to use on the dipstick. Mopar transmissions have always called for a different fluid than Ford or Chevy. If you really want to make your transmission last much longer install a aftermarket cooler. I like the B&M stacked plate design. Can buy them for $50. Please get back to me and tell me what fluid your tranny calls for.

Doodge 10-21-2005 04:28 PM

How many quarts will I need after draining?

I just got a quote on a tranny filter, from dealer, discounted at $75 CDN, WTF?, is this right? What do you guys pay in the US?

Doodge 10-22-2005 01:37 PM

ORIGINAL: john123123

On Mopars you use "exactly" the fluid that your owners manual calls for. Have owned 2 Dodge Spirits and 1 Dodge Neon with the 3-speed automatic transmission. What does your owners manual say that you should use? On my Spirits it called for ATF 7176- ATF+3 and the 2000 Neon called for ATF+4. Many people thought they could use a Dexron ATF and be safe or use a "universal" fluid. Use exactly what you manual calls for. It might even say what ATF fluid to use on the dipstick. Mopar transmissions have always called for a different fluid than Ford or Chevy. If you really want to make your transmission last much longer install a aftermarket cooler. I like the B&M stacked plate design. Can buy them for $50. Please get back to me and tell me what fluid your tranny calls for.

Dealer said ATF+3, 5 quarts. But $75 discounted for a tranny filter, 102 regular price!!!

john123123 10-22-2005 02:06 PM

Have changed many of auto trans fluid(i'm a rural mailcarrier-105 miles a day-5 days a week)and filters. The price for the filter is is way,way to high. I usually pay around $20 for the filter and the gasket. It comes as a set. Do a search on the internet as see what you can get it for. 5 quarts sounds about right. No matter what car I drain the fluid(Dodge Spirits-2 Ford Explorers)I usually get 5-6 quarts to drain. I take it 1 step further and install a drainplug in the pan. Since I do stop/go driving(105 mile route with 420 stops)I always drain some fluid out and replace it with fresh fluid then every 15,000 miles I drop the pan and replace the filter. With this type of driving I get 175,000 out of my transmissions. Please do a search for the filter+gasket set and let us know what you find. $75 is too high. Hope this helps.