DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Stealth (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-stealth-32/)
-   -   Cooling system problem. (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-stealth/38009-cooling-system-problem.html)

Doodge 10-23-2005 12:29 PM

Cooling system problem.

I have been having trouble getting good heat in this cool weather. Here are the symptoms.

It takes alot longer to get heat from the car than it used to, at this rate, i will freeze on the way to work.
I get cold heat at stoplights, and begins to warm up again during drives between lights in the city.
I watched my coolant temp gauge climb a couple of times while stopped at some lights, which was brought back down by giving the car a quick rev to 2k in neutral. This is recurring more often now. I also have several instances of coolant overflow in the driveway, and the elec fan comes on more often.

My coolant dash light flashes quickly at times, especially when driving around 90 degree corners. WHere is this sensor, in the overflow bottle, the rad, or in the thermostat pipe area? And everytime I am ready to add some coolant, my coolant bottle is always above the full mark by about an inch. And with the car parked and running, I wonder if there is any fluid turnover in the bottle at all, cuz I don't see any moving in there.

Lastly, I have some new engine compartment noise, pin pointed to be coming from the timing cover area, thanks to my mechanics stethoscope. Most noise was coming from the central area of the cover, which leads me to suspect the waterpump.

Just FYI, car has 100k miles, but I haven't done the 60k maintenance upgrade (I will early next year). I know this is bad , but I really baby the car, so I thought I could get more time before the maint.

I know the problem must be either be my thermostat, or my waterpump. WHat do you guys think? ANy advice?

I think I should change out the stat for now, to eliminate it for troubleshooting. Anybody have a link to a stat change page?

94 RT FWD NA ATX

thestealth 10-23-2005 02:31 PM

RE: Cooling system problem.

Your initial problem sounds like a stuck t-stat. At least it is sticking open and not closed. I think the sensor is in the overflow, but I am not 100% sure.

The noise could either be the waterpump or the tensioner. Both are under the cover near the center of the engine.

Do you 60k as soon as possible. Money well spent.

Doodge 10-25-2005 08:13 PM

Today I took off the rad cap and was able to fill half a gallon of premixed coolant. Heat works much better.

But....the overflow bottle stays the same. Now I am wondering if I just need a new rad cap. I pressed on it, and it moved, but it felt rough like there was sand in the spring.

I am gonna try the rad cap first.

ALso, for the stat, is it just the two bolts below the rad cap? Will it wiggle out past the fuel rail line when I go to put the new stat in?

john123123 10-25-2005 09:33 PM

I just changed the thermostat in my 92. I must admit the more I work on this engine i'm find it's an easy engine to work on. To change the stat you need to drain enough coolant so the level is below the stat. Your right it's held on with 2 bolts and very easy to get to. All you need to take off is the intake(filter)assembly. 2 hose clamps and it's off. The drain plug for the radiator is on the drivers side. Be carefull with this,mine broke off. You can get a new one($5)at most part stores. Get a new stat plus gasket and your set. Hope this helps.

john123123 10-25-2005 09:38 PM

Forgot 1 important thing. I had a situation where my coolant overflowed twice on my Dodge Spirit. I popped the hood and the fan was running but the problem was it wasn't turning fast enough. I bought a new motor($80-lifetime warranty)and replaced it and problem solved. Your fan might look like it's going the correct speed but it can fool you.