Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Engine Cuts out With Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 10:04 AM
Raymond Hall
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Cuts out With Check Engine Light

Hello. My son got his 1st car yesterday: 1993 Stealth R/T. Inspecting the car didn't seem to reveal anything out of place for a car this age. Driving the car home, the engine just stopped. The check engine light on the dash came on. Turned the key competely to the off position, and restarted the car. There was no indication that something was wrong. It 'feels' like there's some loose connector that just killed electrical power to the engine only because the dash warning lights were still on.
We're going to clean up the battery connections (long shot, I know). Would appreciate if anyone could point us in a direction of what else to check? Is this something that others have experienced? Also, had a bugger of a time turning off the rear wiper. Assuming that the switch is just on it's last leg. Shouldn't be an issue replacing that.
Any help would be appreciated!!!

Old 06-03-2018, 10:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Go after every electrical connector you can find under the hood. Its probably going to be PCM, cam, or crank sensor related though. Can you get codes read? See if anything obvious presents itself?

Old 06-03-2018, 10:30 AM
Raymond Hall
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll look at getting codes read. From what i've read so far, this can be done with a volt meter and counting pulses associated with each of the different modules? Anyway, will post what I find.
Thanks for the response!!!

Old 06-03-2018, 10:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

OBDI. Short terminal a and b together on the ALDL connector, and turn the ignition on, count the flashes of the check engine light. They are all two-digit codes.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:04 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Quick Reply: Engine Cuts out With Check Engine Light