Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

1992 Dodge Stealth R/T Several small problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 02:20 PM
Achelea
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Dodge Stealth R/T Several small problems

I got a low mileage Stealth but it's developed a few problems I need help diagnosing or locating parts.

Studder developing when passing through 10-15mph, Accelerating, braking, coasting in that range can develop into a vibration so bad the driveshaft starts to vibrate against it's mounts. Driver side front CV axle has a blown boot and grease has been slung everywhere, but on a lift it does not appear to have any looseness. Not entirely sure it is not the problem, or if it's one of the diffs or the Lobro joint in the driveshaft.

EGR pipe has a hole in it, and the car feels like it has a boost leak, but it's NLA available from Mitsubishi.

Environmental controls, the display blinked out. Still works, but no display. Will occasionally come on, but goes out anyways.

The switch for Sport suspension just flashes, and I don't notice any different. It flashes after aggressive driving, but I don't know if it's working properly.

The Exhaust switch for Sport/Touring, I hit the switch, I can hear the actuator working and it sounds like it jams and returns back. It only comes out of the driverside exhaust.

Hatch seal leak? I find stuff gets wet sitting in the back of the car.

Hatch drains not working. The drain holes on both sides, one drains, but that's the side that it seems like stuff gets wet, I'm wondering if it's draining, or if the hose is gone. The other one doesn't drain, and I'm hesitant to push a wire through it with it being a 25 yr old car, the hose would probably break.

Stereo/CD player inop... But that I could do later.

Car is 99% bone stock, 116k miles, 5 spd manual.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Replace the axle. It may not feel loose, but, it won't be long, and it will be. Along with noisy. See if the vibration goes away.

How are the tires? A separated belt/bulge in the tread may also give you a vibration at a specific speed. (and so might tire balance) If the car sat in the same place for any appreciable length of time, it may simply be a flat spot on the tire. (but, I wouldn't bet real heavily on that.)

Is the egr pipe smooth, or wrinkly? Some muffler cement might take care of it long enough to find some manner of replacement.

replace the hatch seal.... or clear the drains. I don't know where the hoses run, but, they do tend to get plugged up, or become disconnected for whatever reason.

The rest? No clue.

Welcome to DF!

Quick Reply: 1992 Dodge Stealth R/T Several small problems