Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Shifting Issues

Old 01-09-2019, 09:39 PM
pinegaaj
Default Shifting Issues

Hi everyone! I tried looking through the forum some; however, I haven't seen a thread with the same issue as me.

I have read about how the synchros are notoriously faulty on these VR4s. I bought a 1991 Stealth VR4 last month and unfortunately the shifter is starting to pop out of gear in 2nd, 4th, and reverse; however, 1st, 3rd, and 5th are completely fine. The car has 81k miles, is incredibly clean (aside from this issue), and still has plenty of power.

I have seen on multiple threads that the people speaking about having bad synchros are generally only talking about 1 gear. With my three gears each starting this issue at the same time, it seems as though it would be something else... but again, I do not know enough about this.

Unfortunately, I do not know enough about transmissions to understand synchros, shift linkages, etc. and would just appreciate if someone can definitively tell me what part(s) I should be looking at and which ones I can rule out as the culprit(s).

Thanks for any help, I definitely appreciate it!

Old 01-10-2019, 08:55 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Syncros job is to match gear speeds, so they don't grind when shifting. I would more suspect a mis-adjusted shift linkage, not putting the trans all the way into the gears in question. Check that first. Much cheaper and easier.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:14 PM
pinegaaj

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Syncros job is to match gear speeds, so they don't grind when shifting. I would more suspect a mis-adjusted shift linkage, not putting the trans all the way into the gears in question. Check that first. Much cheaper and easier.
Thanks for the help even though I don't know much about this. I've barely driven it since I'm not sure what it is yet; however, over the little bit that I've driven it, I can't see it getting any worse. So the linkage would make sense. I'll definitely check that out first and keep my fingers crossed! Thank you again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifting Issues

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: