DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Stealth (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-stealth-32/)
-   -   Buying a Stealth (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-stealth/57801-buying-a-stealth.html)

thestealth 05-04-2006 03:38 PM

Buying a Stealth

Buying a used car is always a tricky proposition, Stealths are no different.

First off, I'll list some of the common issues prevelant to all the models.

1. Capacitors. Mitsubishi used subpar capacitors in the control boards. These capacitors will start leaking, damaging the circuit board they are on causing all sorts of malfunctions or board failure. They can be replaced for a minimal cost in comparison to the price of a new unit.
These capacitors are in the ECU (engine controller), TCU (Auto tranny controller), ECS (Electronic Controlled Suspension), and the Digital Climate Control. When I had them replaced on my car, I used ECM to go. They had a fair price and a car on site to test their work.
Edit: Upon further research, this is only an issue with the 1st gen cars, 91-93.

2. Cracked dash vents. Purely a cosmetic problem, but very common. To replace them requires the removal of the dash. I personally am just living with it.

3. Bubbling of the interior door panels. The outer "skin" of the door panel becomes seperated, making bubbles appear in the door panels. Another cosmetic issue, no known cure other than to replace the entire door panel.

4. Worn seat bolster on drivers seat.

5. Lifter tick. Very common among the DOHC engines, I'm not sure if the SOHC has this problem or not. More of an annoyance than anything, as it is not detrimental to the engine. Keeping the oil changed with Synthetic oil will lesson the ticking, but even then it will happen. I change the oil on my Stealths around 3000 miles and both of them have very minimal lifter tick.

Those are the main problem areas of all the models, base, ES, RT, RT/TT. When looking at used cars (any used car), always check the fluid levels and conditions and ask for maintenance records. This is a good indicator of how well the previous owner cared for the vehicle. Kick all the tires, don't be afraid to crawl all over and under the vehicle looking for rust, overspray from a repaint, missing nuts/bolts, hidden damage, etc. Run a carfax report. Not all accidents will show on a carfax, but it will at the minimum give you an idea of how many owners the car had and whether of not the mileage on the odometer is correct. Don't be afraid to ask the owner questions; Why are you selling it? How long have you had it? Any known problems? Etc. Test drive it. Don't turn on the radio while test driving, listen for any unusual clunks or sounds. Drive on varied pavements to listen for any suspension issues. Punch it a time or too (I am not advocating ragging out someones car) to make sure it runs like it should.

The truth is, these cars are starting to get old(er). There will be things that will break or just plain wear out. Struts, seals, hoses, belts, misc. electronic items, chassis and suspension bushings. This is common on all vehicle when they age.

Maintenance

The DOHC and TT engines require a little more thorough maintenance than their SOCH brethren. Every 60K miles the timing belt, water pump, pullies and tensioners, spark plugs should be changed. At 180K miles, the oil pump should be changed, it is not a bad idea to have the mechanic check the bearings while he is there.

That is all I can think of at the moment. Please feel free to add anything I might have missed, or correct anything in error.

rhinotsh 06-30-2006 09:37 PM

RE: Buying a Stealth

I'D LIKE TO ADD ,
PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THE LOWER BALL JOINTS , RIGHT UNDER WHERE THE CV JOINT GOES THRU THE BRAKE ROTOR . YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE THE BALL JOINT IS IN GOOD CONDITION BECAUSE IF YOU NEED TO REPLACE THEM YOU HAVE TO BUY THE WHOLE "A " ARM AND I'M TOLD BY THE LOCAL STEALERSHIP THAT THEY START AT $575.00 !

jakster 07-18-2006 12:31 AM

The lower ball joints can be had from several sources. First off you don't need to replace the whole arm just the balls $75.00-$125 each depending on the vendor. Tie rod ends about $45.00 each NAPA Auto.Look to www.3sxperformance.com for ball joints and you will have a good trip.
My old Stealth has 235.000 miles on the engine and just made a trip from Florida to Colorado / New Mexico and all over the place 3000 miles no problems not even with the rebuilt computer which I did myself for $20.00. This car is really high tech but if maintained will run for a very long time its all a learning curve don't trust the garage teach yourself what makes this beast tick they really have no idea at 99% of the garages.
The Jakster

rrjii2000 03-06-2007 04:54 AM

Lets not forget about the Defrost Vents deforming over time.On around the 10th aniversary of my Stealth the engine mounts were shot, and needed replaced. Also the exaust downpipe will rust out and break with no warning, turning your stealth into one mean noise machine. Mine sounded like a lawnmower, and I was several miles from home at the time :)

Rob

car5car 01-16-2008 10:36 PM

Price of motor mounts is about 120 doll each. I made 2 mounts, it cost me about 5 cents each! If you buy Stealth, check mounts. Not even necessary to check, they are bad! Timing belt, water pump, seals-$500

Sturly 08-12-2008 10:19 AM

I always thought about picking up one of these cars, but they have such a bad rep reliability wise I was always too afraid. picking up a tt car would be sick as hell though!

materialman 10-29-2008 01:39 PM

Do your homework and especially on the Twin Turbo's, make sure you have someone that knows what they are looking at check the car out carefully. These and not cheap cars to have worked on. If you can find a nice one, you will enjoy it!

92 Twin Turbo, original owner, Firestorm Red 15,000 miles, absolutely mint
07 Hummer H3
04 Lexus RX330
02 Dodge Dakota
92 Dodge Shadow
86 Ford Mustang GT Convertable

abushr 08-10-2009 12:17 AM

motor expectations

I'm looking at purchasing a 94 stealth with 108000 miles on the motor. How many miles can I expect from the motor with proper maintance?

danielc.11084 07-23-2011 07:15 PM

Thinking about buyin a 92 stealth twin turbo and need advice

I found a guy who has a white 92 dodge stealth twin turbo with about 180000 miles on it. The body is in pretty decent shape with no dents and no rust. The inside is also pretty good just needs new leather on seats and has a cracked dash. The headlights are stuck in the up position, i am not sure why. So here is the main problem. The rings are bad and the engine is in peices. I am no mechanic by far I just love this car. I have a buddy that does all my mechanic work for next to nothing. The guy still isnt sure he wants to sell it but told me he really didnt have the money to fix it and that if he hasnt done anything in the next month he would sell it to me. We didnt talk price but I was thinking like $800 because the body is in such good shape to be almost 20 years old. Any input would be nice. Like I said I am no mechanic and dont know much about the car.

Lone136 02-13-2012 06:11 AM

Tell me i'm wrong, but wasn't the Gt3000 the same car, but under a different name? THe reason I'm asking, a very good and dear friend of mine had one for years and he passed away just over a year ago. He has a GT3000 and I thought he had sold it long ago. After he passed away he wife told me I could get the old car if I wanted it. At some point he was hit just in front of the drivers door. So it may need a drivers door and fender. HE drove it home and parked it and thats where it sits to this day in the basement of his home. HE only had 79.000 on the car and he got it out of Florida.ALso he never had the title put in his name, but it came from a dealership, so I have the title.
I also now know the car has been parked atleast 6 years or more, but out of the weather.
I'm not sure what to do with the car at this point, but I know his wife is going to lose her home and I will have to move the car. At this point is it worth any thing as a whole or should I just part it out?

Hans_GZP 02-13-2012 08:15 AM

It depends what model and year it is to see if it's worth fixing. But yes, they are the same as a stealth. Where are you located?

Lone136 02-14-2012 06:44 AM

I'm in Clarks Summit at the end of the turn pike. It's a 94

Hans_GZP 02-14-2012 07:51 AM

Local :). If you want to sell it, let me know. I'm not far. Or if you want to fix it. I have a whole warehouse of parts here in Easton for these cars.

Lone136 02-15-2012 06:37 AM

If we are unable to work a deal out on the car, maybe we could get together and get the car back on the road. It would also be nice to meet someone from DF in person. I have been a member here for a few years and hope to be here as a member for many more to come

Hans_GZP 02-18-2012 09:17 AM

Sure. I'm sure we could work something out for the car though.

L3GITxDODG3xLOV3Rx 03-03-2012 10:22 PM

Ok man I know you posted this last year, but I have a question. I'm seriously a dodge lover as you can tell (my name). There is a Dodge Stealth ES, 91, No clue how many miles haven't looked at it yet. But it's a 91, and I have been looking for a Dodge stealth for 3 years now. and I just found one, do you think it would be good to buy a 91? or i that a little far off from this generation. I love the r/t/tt's but this ES Looks sick, its got a single turbo, thats all i know. but get back to me ASAP bro, Thanks.

DanielHakze 10-13-2013 11:35 PM

Is it worth it?

I'm in Canada (Alberta) and I have found a 93 R/T TT. It in immaculate condition from what the guy tells me and from the description. He's the second owner and the previous owner was an older doctor. Neither of these two ran the car hard and they both did regular maintenance. But there's two things
1. The vehicle has 296 xxxkm on it but still pulls strong
2. He is in the process of replacing the oil filter housing. Is this a reoccurring problem on this vehicle or will it be a one time thing?
It seems to be a really good deal so any input would be great!

BrandyZicha 12-10-2013 01:50 PM

I'm currently seeking my 1995 dodge stealth and it's in mint condition, you can call me at 587 982 1176

BrandyZicha 12-10-2013 01:51 PM

selling*

BrandyZicha 12-10-2013 01:53 PM

Hi All,

I'm currently selling my 1995 dodge stealth(Absolute mint condition) If anyone is interested please email me at bnair1987@hotmail.com or call me. 587 982 1176.

Thanks.

clay_tion 03-02-2018 10:34 AM

Opinion of a Stealth to Purchase

Hello All. My name is Clay and this is the first time I have ever joined a forum and posted. But I thought it would be a good idea to start as I am looking to purchase a stealth RT/TT this spring. I am from the Toronto Area and have found a '92 with 230 000kms on it. I have not seen it yet but may go this weekend. The owner says it had a new engine put in around 200k by the owner before him and he is currently having the water pump and timing belt done. He assures me the body is mint and interior is clean aside from some tears in the drivers seat. It comes with a safety but its written buy his friend who is a mechanic. it listed for $6500. I have read this forum and made a list of things to look for, but I wanted to ask what people think of buying a vehicle with an engine swap done? Its a 26 year old car with higher mileage so Im not surprised the engine went but what could this mean for the tranny? Also I believe the onlyother mod is a high performance exhaust. (what ever that means)

I am excited about this because I have wanted one since high school so I am looking for a sober second opinion.

Thanks for any help.

HeyYou 03-03-2018 11:48 AM

Manual or automatic? That equates to around 140k miles, which really isn't bad. Auto trans might make me a bit nervous though.... Go have a look, and see what you think. :)

If it was a new (rebuilt) motor dropped in there, and done right, all should be well. If it is half-assed, stay away from it. :D

Moparite 03-05-2018 06:52 AM

Might want to ask if they rebuilt or replaced the turbos when they did the engine? Find out the details of the rebuilt motor.

clay_tion 03-05-2018 09:34 PM

Thanks for the reply, I will see what he says about the rebuilt turbos but I doubt he will know as the previous owner did the work. I was considering another car with these details in the add:

As the title states, I'm looking to barter my car for some interlocking work on my house.

I had someone offer to do so but I lost his details.

Very rare Stealth for sale, the car is definitely a head turner!

The car is the same as the Mitisbishi 3000GT VR4. It was sold in Canada with the Dodge Stealth label.

The car has a custom body kit and it is hand fabricated to the exisiting panels. All make and model decals have been shaved/removed. She looks really unique.

I am the 2nd owner of the car since 1999, I barely ever drive the car as our family is growing. This baby needs a new home. Never winter driven Only synthetic oil used Well maintained with no boost leaks Car was professionally tuned

This is the 2nd generation with a 6 speed getrag manual transmission.

Stock Horse Power: 320HP After all mods I had it dyno'd at 504HP
Trades welcome, looking for something bigger, would prefer -Lexus IS250/350 -2009 and up BMW 328, 335 -2009 and up Acura TL. **Or try your trade, car or SUV. I'm ready for a change**I will add cash to make up the difference.

Lot's of money spent on this car in upgrades. Some of the items are mentioned below
Exterior: -Complete Custom Body Kit and Paint (Viper Red with a mix of pearl) $3800 -18" Kosie Sniper Rims wrapped with Michelin summer tires (255/40/ZR18) $3100Engine: -New Bigger 19T-HL Garrett Turbos with 7 degree clip (both replaced) $2900 -Custom front mount intercooler with new piping - $1600 -Greddy Blow off valve - $350 -HKS Intake - $600 -3" MagnaFlow custom Exhaust system with 3" Downpipe and 3" Cat converter (comes with Test pipe as well) - $3200 -HKS Boost Controller $1000 -HKS Turbo Timer -NGK Plugs and Wires -ACT Clutch -$1600 -Walboro Fuel Pump -Fuel Pressure Regulator -Bosch o2 Sensors (600) -EGR Block Off PlatesSuspension: -Eibach Springs - $900 -New adjustable shocks - $2000Interior: -Showroom condition, no cracks or fades in the leather -Autometer boost and Air/Fuel gauges -Pioneer Deck -Custom installed stereo system which includes a Pioneer deck, 3 Boswick Amps, 2 12" Boswick Subs (custom box) and JL Front and Mid speakers.
With all that work it doesnt soud like he did any work to the actual engine, just bolted a bunch of stuff on. Doesnt a block need different pistons/ring and stronger bolts on the head to deal with the added boost? This guy wants 12K which s twice the cost of the stock one.

Im just debating what is better, to buy a stock one and build it myself or buy a tuned one and fix issues that may come up. I have decent mechanical skills but not lot of free time (2 kids).

HeyYou 03-07-2018 07:56 AM

I would be more tempted to start with a stocker, and build from there. That way, you KNOW what you have, and that any work done was done right.

Evan Kendall 06-29-2020 09:10 AM

91 Stealth Starting Issues

I recently bought a 91 Stealth ES SOHC. I'm having a starting issue that has got me stumped. More times than not it will start up just fine, 1 to 2 cranks and good to go. Other times it cranks and cranks but no fire. takes about 10 tries before starting finally and after starting it will idle at about 3 grand, again this issue is occurring maybe once every two weeks, it will do it a couple times on the same day or maybe two and then go back to being normal. So far I have replaced the Mass Air Flow Sensor, Ignition Control Module, plugs and wires, and battery. Any suggestions? its hard to diagnose when the problem is so intermittent.

HeyYou 06-29-2020 09:56 AM

Yeah, the intermittent problems are always fun.....

Are you getting any codes?

Evan Kendall 06-29-2020 10:04 AM

The previous owner tampered with the port (trying to "fix" and aftermarket alarm system) and my scanner cannot connect. Not like OBD1 was super helpful in the first place. Check engine light has been on but in a car 25+ years old I would expect that.

HeyYou 06-29-2020 01:43 PM

Does the 'key trick' work on a stealth??? Cycle the key on-off-on-off-on, and the CEL blinks codes at you??

Evan Kendall 06-29-2020 09:24 PM

I have not tried that. I will let you know.