Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Stalling Stealth

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:47 PM
stokeswill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Stalling Stealth

Hi i have a 1991 dodge stealth base model with a 3.0L v6 fwd. I received the car from my uncle as a gift and i am now having some issues with the car. When the car is cold i can start it and it will run and idle fine but once the car has warmed up a bit the rpms will drop when idling and will eventually drop to 0...

I have taken off the isc servo motor and cleaned it but this hasn't seemed to do the trick. The only thing I'm stumped on is the fact that the idling worsens as the engine gets hotter.

If anyone could help me with this that would be great! I would really rather not take it to a shop if i can save the money and do it myself.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:35 PM
Hans_GZP
Veteran

The iac could be bad. I would replace that first.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:29 AM
stokeswill
Default Stalling Stealth

I took off the iac and cleaned it and it appeared to be fine but im starting to think that my fuel pump may be the problem. I adjusted the idle screw, which is pretty much just holding the throttle open for the time being and it seems to be running fine now but i know that this is only a temporary fix. I think that since im having to hold the throttle open that my fuel pump is possibly weak and the engine is having to work harder in order to get the gas to the engine? I dont know really but does that make any sense to you?

Old 12-22-2011, 10:33 AM
stokeswill

Oh i also forgot to mention that i took it to an auto store to get my battery replaced and i had one of the guys come out too look at it. We checked the Mass Airflow Sensor and it was completely clean, but we still put MAF cleaner on it anyway. It didn't do anything so i don't think that was the issue. But this fuel pump is looking more and more like it may be the root to this problem but the IAC valve could definitely be it too.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 AM
stokeswill
Default Stalling Stealth

Ok so i replaced both of the fuel filters today and that didnt do anything. The mechanic tried to hook it up to a reader but he couldnt find my car in the computer so no dice there. He told me that it could be the iac, tps, or a vacuum leak so i guess im stuck with just guessing what is wrong...

Old 12-23-2011, 07:03 AM
Hans_GZP
Veteran

If you have to manually adjust the idle, then the IAC isn't doing its job.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 PM
stokeswill
Exclamation Figured it out

Ok, so after a month or two and 350 dollars later i have finally figured out what is wrong with my stealth. The ECM had gone bad and had therefore not been telling my car to idle correctly. I had replaced the IAC and nothing changed so i looked up online and all signs pointed to a fried ECM. I am currently in the process of receiving a used one off of ebay and i have a question.

If this ECM is used do i HAVE to get it flashed? Its a 1991 stealth and ive been told by some people that not all ecms have to be flashed and that it depends on the car. I cannot find anything anywhere on this topic online and i was hoping that someone would be able to answer this for me. Id rather not have to go pay 80 bucks to have my emc flashed. But i dont want to plug this thing in and blow the computer or something.

So if someone could help me out with this issue that would be great!!!

Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Hans_GZP
Veteran

No flashing required. You need an ecu from a 91-92 sohc.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:58 PM
stokeswill
Exclamation great...

Ok... so i put the new ecu in the car today and it started instantly. After running for a couple of seconds the car started making a clicking noise from the engine (Sounded electrical)(Like the distributor or spark plugs). After about 2 minutes of running, the ecu, that i JUST purchased started producing profuse amounts of smoke from it. I immediately shut off the car and pulled the ecu. I examined it and the capacitor that melted was the same one that melted on my old one. I guess there is something that is shorting out my computers and is causing them to melt. I have absolutely no idea where to go with this. I called the Mitsubishi dealer after dodge told me that they wont work on get this (DODGE Stealths) and they told me that they didnt know what was wrong with it. I really want to get this fixed and im tired of spending money on things that im just going to end up breaking. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Stalling Stealth