DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Stealth (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-stealth-32/)
-   -   something is wrong with my clutch, where do i put in transmission fluid?!?! (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-stealth/94318-something-is-wrong-with-my-clutch-where-do-i-put-in-transmission-fluid.html)

93stealth_es 02-18-2007 09:22 PM

something is wrong with my clutch, where do i put in transmission fluid?!?!

well something happend to my clutch the other day
it will still drive and reverse and stuff but barely
it doesnt pick up speed well at all
and it wont really go over 30mph

at first i thought the clutch was gone altogether but people have been telling me that if the clutch still moves around and the car will still drive- even if barely- then it might just be the transmission fluid being low

i tried looking for where to put it in buti have no clue where it was

if someone could tell me if its not right on top when you pop the hood that would really help
(like if i need to underneath the car, or take something apart to find it)

oh and if you guys dont think that the fluid is the problem
please tell me

I would really appretiate it!

oh and i have a 1993 stealth es V6 Dohc
Please help a girl out!!

thestealth 02-18-2007 11:02 PM

RE: something is wrong with my clutch, where do i put in transmission fluid?!?!

I haven't fooled around with a fwd manual tranny, so I don't know exactly where the fill hole is, but most manual trannys have 2 plugs that you access from under the car.
Jack the car up on the passenger side, use a jackstand to support the car (don't trust just the jack).
You may want to remove the tire for easier access. Crawl under the car and search around on the tranny for 2 plugs, one will be at the lowest point, that is the drain plug. Somewhere up on the side about halfway up will be another plug (the will both look like bolts), that will be the fill plug. Remove the plug and fill with gear oil. I think GL-4 fluid is recommended. Your local autoparts store should be able to get you what you need. You might be able to stick your finger in the fill hole, if you can feel the gear oil, you don't need to add anymore. If low fill the tranny till fluid runs out the fill hole. Put the plug back in and you should be good to go.

Now, on to your problem: Do the RPM's climb when you are driving the car? You say it doesn't want to go faster than 30...what are the RPM's when you are going that fast? If the are high, that is a sign that the clutch is slipping.

93stealth_es 02-19-2007 03:47 AM

well when i put it in 3rd gear and pressed on the gas the rpm's sometimes climbed all the way up to 5 even if im not pressing it hard
and then the car would VERY VEERRY slowly pick up alittle bit of speed but not going over 30 really
and the rpms would gradually go downto about 2 when the car was being driven at 30 for a couple thousand feet

but thats one night that i got lucky
a different night it didnt go over 20

im pretty sure i need a new clutch altogether but i want to start out with the smallest thing needed to be fixed first

oh and putting the fluid in....do you think i should take it to go get done or would it be a simple enough job for me to do it
or for my dad?

92stealth 02-19-2007 06:51 PM

if your going to do fluid and you need aclutch dont waste the money to do the fluid twice. just replace the fluid when you do the clutch, because it sounds like you need a clutch.also does it smell when you get out of the car?

93stealth_es 02-20-2007 12:33 AM

oh yeah deffinetly it does smell

and my car makes a terrible screaching noise in neutral and 1st gear

oh and i just went out and drove my car around to show my dad what the hell was happening
and basically the speedometer thingy didnt move from 0mph even when i was in 3rd gear (mind that i was actually driving the car)

my car is messed up so bad

92stealth 02-20-2007 01:00 AM

if it smells then it needs a clutch. start there, not point in doing the fluids twice.

thestealth 02-20-2007 01:40 AM

Yeah, your clutch is shot. Find a reputable shop (good luck :D ) and have it replaced. An OEM will be fine. Go ahead and have them change the gear oil.

92stealth 02-20-2007 04:45 PM

try not to drive it anymore too, just going to make things worse, and eventually be stranded with it.

Jeff7pt62 04-06-2007 02:48 AM

ok, lets look a few things here.
Check you master clutch cyclnder..is it leaking? does it need fluid? Mine had a bad leak, which was VERY difficult to find,. I just replaced the whole thing. the clutch was never disengaging. you could also have fluid on the clutch. That would account for massive slippage and burning smell. The rear main engine oil seal, or front tranny seal or both could be leaking. bad.....very bad
Slave cycndler ( on the tranny housing) was replaced as it showed signs of starting to leak.
My clutch was also shot, but could not tell until it was pulled. The clutch pads where badly glazed ( from slipping and scarred)
MAKE SURE you can remove the fill cap then remove the drain plug. The fill is on the front side of the tranny about 1/2 way up. If you drain it, and the oil looks really really bad, well, that is problem A cause but not just the only one. If you go to drain and not much comes out....rebuild the tranny. thant simple. Chances are better then fair that the bearings and syncros are shot. Low oil will not cause lack of power. low oil burns out the parts inside. A manual transmission IS MANUAL. everything is mechanically connected, unlike an auto, which uses hdraulic fluid to shift.. You caould concievable srive with noo oil and it would work...for about a mile [8D] then it would just smoke check all your metal on metal parts. What causes the hard shifting inbetween gears is generally bad syncros. They get gloged or worn out and you grind gears, unless you match engine RPM and speed. ( back in the day we used to shift without using the clutch OCASSIONALY :D)

My new clutch (complete kit ) from NAPA was $160 labor is usually $350 New master clutch $80 ( dont bother with a rebuild ) Biggest problem is finding someone who will do it and not rip you off.

Carcharodont 04-06-2007 04:51 PM

I can tell you straight off your clutch is slipping and that it is at the end of it's life. Go ahead and get a clutch ordered and park the car, otherwise you will have to resurface the flywheel when the metal backing that holds on the clutch material starts tocut grooves into it (happened to me because I didn't know and because I didn't have a back up vehicle to fall on). Or you can do how I did and replace that large clunky flywheel with a Fidanza flywheel (20lbs to 8lbs=huge difference). I would go with Ebay, I netted mine for 333 with free shipping. Also, if you can, go with an ACT, Exedy, or Fidanza clutch. Beware of offbrand clutches, im lucky mine isn't ****ed up.