Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

transmission, hard downshift,kickdown problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 07:51 PM
jmgebhart
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission, hard downshift,kickdown problem

I have a 2004 Dodge Stratus w/ the 2.7L engine. Within the last two weeks, the transmission has started giving me trouble. I've noticed that as I slow down from highway speeds (i.e. anything over 35 mph) and enter the 25 - 30 mph range, my car will shift out of what I assume is overdrive and cause the car to jump forward a little bit. It's a very hard problem to describe in words. The car gives a slight acceleration before continuing to decelerate. I know it’s the tranny because it always happens at the same speed range and it doesn't happen if I slow down with the car in neutral. I've never encountered this type of problem before and I need HELP! Has anyone heard of this before.... I just changed my fluid and it smelled funny. It appeared to be good (bright red color). I was told that that is the way the recommended tranny fluid for the stratus (synthetic) smells. Regardless it is kicking down hard at 25 MPH when decelerating. Any suggestions on what to look for in the tranny? Is this major or minor? If I catch it early is it a simple fix? Sooo many question....sooo little time. I have been helped immensely on this site before and I am hoping you car geniuses can do it again. I look forward to any and all feedback!

Old 11-27-2008, 01:17 PM
tomthedog
Captain

sounds like it may be related to the solenoind that locks up the torque converter (returns better mpg). try unplugging the car batt, pulling the fuse to the pcm might be easyier. this will reset the pcm, i've seen this work on hummers in iraq. next thing to do is check on the powertrain warrenty, my '02 came with 7/70 powertrain coverage. sounds like the tranny is on the way out. hope this helps.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:15 PM
jmgebhart

I'll give it a try! if it is not the pcm, what could I suggest to the machanic it might be internally. I like to sound like I know what I am talking about to the machanic. It helps to keep them honest if you know what I mean!

Old 12-01-2008, 03:38 PM
tomthedog
Captain

not real sure, could be a bunch of diff stuff. i'd take it to a major parts chain store to see if you have any codes (not all cause the CEL to come on). might be something easy like a speed sensor or a kickdown cable that needs adjustment. about the only thing you can hope for is it to mess up when the mech checks it out.

Quick Reply: transmission, hard downshift,kickdown problem