Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

New R/T Owner

Old 12-14-2008, 09:32 PM
lboardman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New R/T Owner

I bought a 2002 Stratus R/T with 115,000 miles on it, just had its transmission replaced, the owner told me that he took it to two other shops and had them check the tranny and the pcm for codes, nothing came up yet the car laggs when shifting from 1st to 2nd yet if i start it in 3rd there is no gear shifting issue at all and if i drive it for a bit it makes the transition in d from 1st to 2nd with no issue... My boyfriends sister has a seabring, and had the same issue when her trnny was replaced there telling me that the pcm needs to relearn the tranny... I really am hoping this is the case... I dont want to waist money i dont have taking it to the mechanic... Any ideas?

Old 12-14-2008, 11:09 PM
tomthedog
Captain

tranny shouldn't take more than 2-3 days/hours (depends on your driving cycle) to get used to the new tranny, but it does need to learn the vehicle system norms/changes to fall into regular operation.

if you got it from a dealer check into your state lemon laws. you should have some type of legal protection for issues like this. hope this helps.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:21 PM
lboardman

Originally Posted by tomthedog
tranny shouldn't take more than 2-3 days/hours (depends on your driving cycle) to get used to the new tranny, but it does need to learn the vehicle system norms/changes to fall into regular operation.

if you got it from a dealer check into your state lemon laws. you should have some type of legal protection for issues like this. hope this helps.

Thanks unfortunately if its more than this its my problem i bought the car from a charity dealer "as is", being a paralegal lemon laws dont apply... They never really drove the car after replacing the tranny, they may have taken it on a 5 min run down the st and back thats about it.... I took it on a 45 min drive tonight and it seemed to be shifting fine ill update tomorrow if i take it back out....

Old 12-16-2008, 07:26 PM
tomthedog
Captain

they should still be required to infrom you of all "known" faults related to the ride. check the tranny fluid AFTER the car has warmed up. high or low is bad, just as long as it's bewteen the lines. not all codes make the check eng light come on. take it to a major parts store to get the codes read for free and tell us what you have.

do you know if the replacment tranny is new, used, or rebuilt?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:34 PM
lboardman

Originally Posted by tomthedog
they should still be required to infrom you of all "known" faults related to the ride. check the tranny fluid AFTER the car has warmed up. high or low is bad, just as long as it's bewteen the lines. not all codes make the check eng light come on. take it to a major parts store to get the codes read for free and tell us what you have.

do you know if the replacment tranny is new, used, or rebuilt?
IDK Im it cost arround 1100 for the tranny apparently... Ill def be taking it to get the codes checked... Did something today that was weird... It drove fine this morning then when i went to take it out this afternoon it wouldnt engage drive, it would shift the car would move a lil but when i would press the gas it wouldnt go forward just rev the engine... took a couple of times and then the engine bucked and now it drives fine again >< annoyance...

Old 12-16-2008, 11:50 PM
gMatt82
Rookie

I remember reading something about this on allpar.com. I mean, it probably isn't the same issue. However, if there are no codes, the next easiest, simplest, and cheapest thing to do would be to change the fluid. Just change it, don't worry what was in there, how long it was etc. You don't know, nor would I assume the charitable organization know, what the Trans shop put in for fluid. We put trust into mechanics to do the right thing, however some shops do live off quantity rather than quality.

As a mechanic myself, you deal with the two evils everyday. However, in my field as an aviation mechanic, we have strict rules and regulations that govern us, as long as not a shade tree mechanic of course. In our shop the FAA inspects regularly, we're close to the office for the region for starters.

Now, I am sorry that was a bit of a sidetrack. Some have stated that it's ok to use Dexcron for our trannies, even manuals. That is not the case. ATF+3 has been rather discontinued in a manner of speaking. If a transmission ran on ATF+3, it is recommended to just use ATF+4. I would highly recommend either doing it yourself, or having a shop do it, but watching carefully that they do use the correct fluid. Also, to do a flush to scavenge the bad fluid (if it is bad at all) out of the torque converter. I didn't know this information until reading the site about it, about how much fluid is actually used in the TC. But after going through maintenance school and learning about fluid couplings, it makes sense.

To me it just seems that this is more likely the case. I don't deal with this everyday I hope that you realize. Somethings though just stick out to me as the most likely cause. Oh and while at it, while doing the fluid, just do the filter, less chance of contamination. This may not be your issue at all, but if you reference the allpar.com site which I'll provide the link here in a second, they provide other useful information such as resetting your system so it can relearn as well.

http://allpar.com/fix/trans.html

Old 12-17-2008, 12:10 PM
gMatt82
Rookie

I was thinking too, it could be mechanical, so just please leave the options open, I don't want you to rely on what I am saying, just that it could be the most likely cause. I was thinking about it driving into work today in my Stratus, so I thought that maybe I shouldn't have been so boisterous in saying that.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:39 PM
john1782
Professional

Originally Posted by gMatt82
I remember reading something about this on allpar.com. I mean, it probably isn't the same issue. However, if there are no codes, the next easiest, simplest, and cheapest thing to do would be to change the fluid. Just change it, don't worry what was in there, how long it was etc. You don't know, nor would I assume the charitable organization know, what the Trans shop put in for fluid. We put trust into mechanics to do the right thing, however some shops do live off quantity rather than quality.

As a mechanic myself, you deal with the two evils everyday. However, in my field as an aviation mechanic, we have strict rules and regulations that govern us, as long as not a shade tree mechanic of course. In our shop the FAA inspects regularly, we're close to the office for the region for starters.

Now, I am sorry that was a bit of a sidetrack. Some have stated that it's ok to use Dexcron for our trannies, even manuals. That is not the case. ATF+3 has been rather discontinued in a manner of speaking. If a transmission ran on ATF+3, it is recommended to just use ATF+4. I would highly recommend either doing it yourself, or having a shop do it, but watching carefully that they do use the correct fluid. Also, to do a flush to scavenge the bad fluid (if it is bad at all) out of the torque converter. I didn't know this information until reading the site about it, about how much fluid is actually used in the TC. But after going through maintenance school and learning about fluid couplings, it makes sense.

To me it just seems that this is more likely the case. I don't deal with this everyday I hope that you realize. Somethings though just stick out to me as the most likely cause. Oh and while at it, while doing the fluid, just do the filter, less chance of contamination. This may not be your issue at all, but if you reference the allpar.com site which I'll provide the link here in a second, they provide other useful information such as resetting your system so it can relearn as well.

http://allpar.com/fix/trans.html

Manual calls for Diamond SPII/SPIIM/SPIII

Old 12-18-2008, 10:13 PM
gMatt82
Rookie

The owners manual, which most car owners would refer to for maintenance, says "Mopar ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid." Page 246.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:17 PM
john1782
Professional

Originally Posted by gMatt82
The owners manual, which most car owners would refer to for maintenance, says "Mopar ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid." Page 246.

Please remember this is an R/T (Mitsubishi transmission). Page 343 of the "R/T" owners manual states Diamond SP

Not saying ATF+4 can't be used, but I'm sure Diamond SP is in the manual for a reason

Last edited by john1782; 12-19-2008 at 03:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New R/T Owner