Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

difficulty level of chaning a wheel bearing?

Old 02-23-2011, 04:25 PM
homeskillet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, yeah, could be why they failed - Good thing I replaced both then - that was only on the big nut and I did use a torque wrench, but it was a loaner, and don't feel bad anyway since they came off so easy.

I've got a leaky upper control arm now - wondering when I'll take that one on next.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Dan Jarvis

Originally Posted by 22DODGE22
When I did my Stratus, I just took of big nut in middle of hub, pushed it back a little, removed brake caliper, brake rotor, removed a few bolts on the back side, used a chisel and hammer to wedge the hub out. It was really difficult for me, but I managed. I found it easier to take out my transmission. That middle big nut is freaking tight.
This is how I did it. It was pretty difficult... only a chisel and sledgehammer worked for me.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Dan Jarvis

Originally Posted by 22DODGE22
HUH? 180 foot lbs of torque is ONLY for the big nut in the middle of the hub on each front wheel, and you better not have used a torque wrench for loosening the nuts!! Maybe someone fixed your transmission before and didn't properly torque the 1¼" hub nuts which is why the wheel bearing failed?????
Ok, so can somebody clarify the torque specifications for the 3 torx bolts that secure the hub to the knuckle? I understand the axle nut is 180ft/lbs, right?

Car is 1998 Dodge Stratus 2.4L, no ABS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: difficulty level of chaning a wheel bearing?