Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

97 Stratus hesitation problem - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 PM
tacoboy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Stratus hesitation problem - HELP!

1997 Stratus 2.0, 5-speed, 168k

Lately I have noticed that at speeds of 40MPH or higher (highway speeds) the car intermittently hesitates (sort of a dead spot in acceleration - just for a split second at random times). It happens when trying to maintain a constant speed or accelerating. When decelerating, it does not happen.

It's very strange because at the lower speeds there is no problem at all. When the problem occurs, I try to keep an eye on the tach. Sometimes when the problem happens I can see the RPMs spike up. This leads me to believe that there might be a transmission/clutch problem rather than a spark/fuel problem. At idle, it is fine and at the lower speeds also. Only until I hit around 40MPH does it start. And it doesn't happen every time. I could go a week without it happening. Over the past few days however, I have been noticing it more and more. Making me nervous.

BTW, no CEL on. I have not yet scanned it for codes.

I came across this post that seems to describe what is happening with me but without the idle problems:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-s...s-problem.html

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by tacoboy; 05-26-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:27 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Does it only occure in a certain gear or gears? My kia had a similar issue that turned out to be, of all things, a faulty spark plug wire. But it also threw codes for misfires.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:52 AM
tacoboy
Professional

Seems to only do it above 40MPH in 3rd, 4th or 5th.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:17 PM
tacoboy
Professional

Turned out to be the camshaft position sensor ($25). That took care of the highway bucking but there seemed to be an underlying hesitation problem at lower speeds and accelerating. Two of my plug wires were open. Replaced them and runs like a charm.

Quick Reply: 97 Stratus hesitation problem - HELP!