Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2000 Stratus Won't Start when low on gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:02 PM
alan1213
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Stratus Won't Start when low on gas

I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus. Whenever my gas gets to a quarter tank or lower, it wont start. I'm not saying when I'm out of gas, I could still have a quarter tank left, but it wont start.

If I start it before it gets that low, it will run til its out of gas. Also, its always able to start right after I shut the car off, but if the car has been off for a while and the gas is semi-low, it won't start. I had the fuel pump go bad and I replaced it. The car started doing this after I replaced the fuel pump. I have dropped the tank again and the pump seems to be sitting in the tank correctly.

Can anyone help me out here? I've never heard of a car doing this.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:59 PM
ratsttam
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some more details about YOUR strat will be helpful here. For starters, which engine and trim level do you have (2.0, 2.4, 2.5) and (SE or ES). I have seen this problem before, and it's usually caused by the fuel pump letting the fuel drain back into the tank, and not pressurizing the line. My guess is that you have a faulty new pump. What were your symptoms that you changed your pump to begin with?
Have you tried to put the car in "run" for a few seconds before turning it to "start". This may allow the fuel rails to become pressurized again, before attempting to crank it over.

Quick Reply: 2000 Stratus Won't Start when low on gas