Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Weird clunk/pop sound when making a tight turn?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 PM
castlenut
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird clunk/pop sound when making a tight turn?

Changed the inner and outer tie rods. Cant find the source of the noise. Real nasty clunk! It only happens when I make a complete 90 degree turn. I inspected the ball joints but I see no real play in them. I'm scratching my head on this one. I'm suspecting the ball joints but Im just not able to replicate the sound in my garage. It sounds like its coming from the right side. Weird anyone have any advice? It sounds like a clunk then a pop once it frees itself? How about front shock mount? I just dont know!! I'm about to replace the ball joints but I figure I post here first! Any help will be appreciated....

Old 02-09-2010, 04:26 PM
deepbass69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stabalizer maybe?

Old 02-16-2010, 08:34 PM
bob1459
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last time I heard a noise like that it was when I was lock to lock..All the way hard right or left. It will come from either side. Look at where the lower control arm my touch the inside of the tire area. So if it is the left side when turning left you will need to turn hard right then get out and look at the control arm. You may see a little wear pad or rust mark or something. If so add a little anti-seize grease and all should be good from there.

If you get that popping sound on bumps, I have notice that the ball joints get overlooked and the rubber my be collapsed. Add grease til it bulges and it goes away. Had that problem already. Let us know

Quick Reply: Weird clunk/pop sound when making a tight turn?