Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

1997 stratus problems with starter

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 04:11 PM
montrealer8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 stratus problems with starter

hello

car: stratus 1997

car have Anti-theft system and remote starter..
untill 2 days ago, i was able to start the car using the remote starter...now I can no longer do that.... when I try to start the car using my key, nothing happens, dash wont turn on....

the car was checked by an electrician yesterday.. he did disable the anti theft system and start the car using the key... he also was able to start the car using the key.... then the worse happened...

whats happening now is that starter is stuck... meaning when I tried to start my car, using my remote, the engine started for couple of seconds then went almost death and ithe engine is clicking now as if i was turning the key without stoping to start the engine but it wouldnt.
I wasnt able to shutdown the engine, key and remote wouldnt work, engine was forcing, noisy and I had to wait for about 10 mins untill battery died so the engine shuts off...

when i try to boost my battery now ( key removed), the starter would try to start the engine (* again forcing) , but no success...

if i try to start engine with key now, dash wont turn on, and even if battery wasnt dead, dash will still not turn on.

what do you think is the problem?

Old 03-01-2010, 10:01 AM
ratsttam
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Electrical problem. It sounds like the the ignition switch is stuck in the "run" position. This could be caused by the bypassing of the security system, a poor ground point, crossed wires. I would go back to the electrician that bypassed it, and have him put things back the way they were originally, than diagnose the actual problem.
Was the red dot on the right side of the cluster lighted?

Quick Reply: 1997 stratus problems with starter