Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

99 not starting and no OBD readout!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:16 AM
whattheF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 not starting and no OBD readout!

Had camshaft sensor replaced because car would die at random. 4 months later the car would not start at all. Changed fuel pump/filter and all relays.
No readout on the OBD port. Replaced engine computer with salvage yard part with no change. Getting spark

Old 04-12-2010, 06:50 PM
atimehascome
Unhappy

Same exact thing is going on with my car right now. It's also a 99. We replaced the cam and crankshaft sensors. Checked the timing belt and fuel pump and both are good. Replaced the distributor and spark plugs/wires. It's getting a spark, but not starting. No OBD reading coming out on mine either. The mechanic I had working on it is at a loss.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:56 PM
wadeamca

My 99 2.5 acted the same way. My problem turned out to be a bad new crankshaft position sensor - after a new distributor, plugs, wires, and computer.
Wayne

Old 04-14-2010, 10:11 PM
atimehascome

Yea, that's exactly what I've replaced. It still doesn't work. Have you had any luck whattheF?

Old 04-15-2010, 09:49 PM
wadeamca

The other problem I had, a couple weeks after replacing a bad 'new' crankshaft position sensor, was that I drove to work and parked the car as any other day. I went out during lunch and the car wouldn't start. Tried yet another CPS - no luck. Turned out that my daugher and her husband (when they owned the car) had to get the fuel pump replaced. Gas gauge showed 1/4 tank - not high enough for the pump to pick up the gas. Poured 5 gallons in and it started immediately. Checked it a couple weeks later (had a 1-gallon jug in the trunk) and the same thing happened.
Now, any time the gauge gets below 1/2 tank, I stop and fill up.
Just a guess, but it's possible that could also be your problem....
WAYNE

Old 04-17-2010, 07:50 PM
castlenut
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WhattheF how have you made out? Any luck?

Old 04-18-2010, 01:39 PM
whattheF

Originally Posted by castlenut
WhattheF how have you made out? Any luck?
Now my mechanic is saying the computer is bad. He was told by dodge that if you buy a new or used computer it still needs to be flashed....$1000 total. Im going to try putting more gas in the tank....noticed that was posted recently. will let everyone know how that turns out

Old 04-25-2010, 07:18 PM
whattheF

I towed the piece of crap back to the house......started more troubleshooting again myself. Got the computer to readout now. Found fuse#5 (int lamps/radio mem) on the driver side dash burnt out.....as my username(whatthef) who would of thought!
No codes showing and battery needs charged. We post soon

Quick Reply: 99 not starting and no OBD readout!