Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Transmission cooler line identification? No information in manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 04:19 PM
add|ct
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission cooler line identification? No information in manual

I've got a 1999 2.4L Stratus with the 41TE tranny, to my knowledge.

Soon, I'll be doing the 'poor mans' transmission fluid 'flush'. Really, its just a proceedure following the standard filter change/fluid top off. We all know this only changes roughly 4 Quarts in this >9 Quart capacity of the transmission.

I'm going to then proceed to allow old ATF +3(yes, this car has mostly ATF+3 still) drain off into a pan from one of the trans cooler lines while adding new fluid so as to not go low during the process.

Eventually, you can have MOST of the fluid in the system changed since doing this with the car running in "D" will allow fluid to leave the torque converter.

Here is my problem:

Which of the trans cooler lines is the return to the tranny and which is coming from the tranny? The Haynes manual I looked into but only saw a picture related to the removal of the radiator and the trans lines simply being pointed to, not identified one from the other.

I suppose I could hook up clear tubing and see the direction of 'flow', but I'd rather only have to disconnect the return line, that way as I see fluid attempt to go back to the tranny(trans pump causing this flow), I can just have someone add through the dipstick in the engine bay at a rate similar to what is trying to be pumped back into the tranny. This will prevent it from getting low and risking transmission damage, and will allow new fluid to be added to the system at the same time. Aside from the 4 Quarts it takes for the standard pan drop/filter change, it should take an additional 5 Quarts or so to cycle the majority of the old fluid out once the method described above takes place.

Does anyone have pictures of the trans cooler lines in this car and have the two distinguished from each other?

I'd imagine that the lower of the trans cooler lines is the return line, since fluid entering the top to be cooled would then settle to the bottom. Also, if the return line was the upper hose it would potentially be drawing 'nothing' and needs to keep the flow going without a hitch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:27 PM
sapporo
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you're wasting your time and materials ($). just change the fluid by dropping the pan and new filter (approx 4-5 qts.)

if you really feel you MUST attempt to pump through all the oil, then remove the line off the trans closest to the engine that's the return port

Quick Reply: Transmission cooler line identification? No information in manual