Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2000 Dodge Stratus 2.5 V6 Problems

Old 05-23-2010, 01:54 PM
akitomc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge Stratus 2.5 V6 Problems

Hello I recently purchased a 2000 Dodge Stratus with the 2.5 v6. I recently noticed some problems coming along. First thing was the Gas Fill Neck was rusted and broke off. The car also had a shaky idle. I noticed the check engine light was coming on and i took it to Autozone and they said i was running to lean on the fuel. After a few days i noticed the check engine light went off so i didn't worry about it. Well i was going on a trip and the car just started to shut down and was going very slow. First thing i thought was that too much water got into the tank from the broken fill neck so i took the car home to be looked at. First thing i did was goto the junk yard and pick up a fill neck. The car still continued with the same problem. CEL still on sometimes even blinking. Car didnt have much power could barely even keep it running without having to speed. I took it back to Autozone and they told me i had bad gas in the tank and some of the spark plugs were not working. I figured that is where i lost the power. The water probably messed up the plugs. I had the gentleman check the spark and spark plug number 4 was clicking and when he pulled out number 2 ( the middle one) the car would not start again. Just turn over no spark no fuel. Just one big mess. I towed the car back to my house where we cleaned the gas tank out and put some fresh 93 octane fuel and cleaner inside. I also checked the fuel pump to make sure it was pumping gas. I also replaced the fuel filter since i was right there. Still nothing up front. So i changed the spark plugs, distributor cap, and the rotor. Still nothing from the car. No spark at all. Im thinking it could be the distributor but i had nowhere to get it tested and it cost around $220 for a refurb. I check the fuel pump relay to make sure it wasnt fried, i switched it with the wipers and they still worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Stratus 2.5 V6 Problems